Navajo Nation Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me how the Navajo Nation FD units are dispatched? I hear units update their status on the Police dispatch freqs.

Cameron1055

Hello, fellow volunteer firefighter from Cameron and we were paged out on the main channel which was not repeated and simplex mode only, it was spotty in our area from the dispatch center and we relied on our mobile radios only instead of portables, but we would also have landline calls come directly to the station too, in the early 90's we had our own dispatcher, but nowdays due to shortage of staff, calls would come out directly on the local PD channel

Cameron1055

We were on our own, community volunteer fire department we were able levy our own district sales tax from Coconino County, there are several/ many fire departments that are not part of the NNFD on the reservation, Kayenta, Ganado, Shonto & Red Mesa are seperate fire departments on there own, there is still several BIA fire stations around that are assigned to protect the schools and some county fire departments that have stations on the reservation, oh and BIA Wildland Fire has several stations too, NNFD was all volunteer till recently they became full time/ career

Cameron1055

Oh, we were toned/ paged out by Tuba City DPS (NNPD/ NNFD) communications center, using NNFD radio channel

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. I live in SW Colorado and can hear most of the comms from the NN. Trying to figure out the fire/EMS comms.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
We were on our own, community volunteer fire department we were able levy our own district sales tax from Coconino County, there are several/ many fire departments that are not part of the NNFD on the reservation, Kayenta, Ganado, Shonto & Red Mesa are seperate fire departments on there own, there is still several BIA fire stations around that are assigned to protect the schools and some county fire departments that have stations on the reservation, oh and BIA Wildland Fire has several stations too, NNFD was all volunteer till recently they became full time/ career

Just curios, who dispatches BIA Wildland Fire. The info I have shows that the Flagstaff Interagency Dispatch Center does their dispatching, but I'm not sure if the day to day dispatching is done by some sort of Navajo Nation dispatch center. If this is the case Flagstaff is the next level up in the coordination chain. Smaller reservations/nations are often partners in some Interagency Dispatch Centers with day to day dispatching done via them.

Cameron1055

Our nearest BIA Wildland Fire station was in Tuba City, Arizona and they also had there own dispatch center shared with the local BIA office there, there comms was shared with the BIA Roads department and other BIA agencies housed there, I don't think anybody uses the Flagstaff Interagency Dispatch Center, Fort Defiance, Arizona has a BIA Wildland fire dispatch center that dispatches for that area, also and the Hopi Reservation has there own Wildland BIA dispatch center also, BIA wildland fire was always pretty hard to get a hold of, they only operated during daytime hours, we would always respond from our station as we were closest and get reimbursed by them after we put out the wild fire, all the NNFD stations are dispatched by the local NNPD dispatch centers, so was EMS, EMSCOM was also used alot, the main NNFD channel was 154.3250, which is was we were paged out on, if we were out of range, we would swith to the NNPD channel, as they had better coverage on the there repeaters, all our apparatus were also 4x4 due to the many dirt roads in our area and were more than capable to handle wild land fires

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Alright. We're getting closer to figuring this out.

I have 169.7125R as the BIA Navajo Region Fire Management repeater and a station ID of "Navajo Dispatch". Active in the summer, fall when things catch on fire.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Alright. We're getting closer to figuring this out.

I have 169.7125R as the BIA Navajo Region Fire Management repeater and a station ID of "Navajo Dispatch". Active in the summer, fall when things catch on fire.

I have a source that lists the "Navajo BIA" is on repeaters with an output of 172.7250. This is listed under the Flagstaff Interagency Dispatch Center in a 2021 document. I am located too far away to verify. When I travel I have to use the document sources I have first and if I have no luck, then I have to search. I will pencil in your report and listen if I get there in the next year or so. Thanks!

There is a dispatch center map on the Southwestern GACC website that shows the Northern Arizona zone extending into New Mexico to cover the Navajo Nation, extending as far east to include the "Checkerboard Lands." Whatever frequency is correct would apply in both states, presumably.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I have a source that lists the "Navajo BIA" is on repeaters with an output of 172.7250. This is listed under the Flagstaff Interagency Dispatch Center in a 2021 document. I am located too far away to verify. When I travel I have to use the document sources I have first and if I have no luck, then I have to search. I will pencil in your report and listen if I get there in the next year or so. Thanks!

There is a dispatch center map on the Southwestern GACC website that shows the Northern Arizona zone extending into New Mexico to cover the Navajo Nation, extending as far east to include the "Checkerboard Lands." Whatever frequency is correct would apply in both states, presumably.
I have that freq listed too and have heard traffic on it. However, cannot confirm that it was traffic from the NN.

KE5ZBG

NMSAR
Feed Provider
I have 169.7125 as BIA Sacaton (Pima) handled by the Phoenix IDC. And 172.7250 as BIA Navajo handled by Flagstaff IDC on La Mosca/Mt. Taylor, Roof Butte, and Mt. Elden.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I have 169.7125 as BIA Sacaton (Pima) handled by the Phoenix IDC. And 172.7250 as BIA Navajo handled by Flagstaff IDC on La Mosca/Mt. Taylor, Roof Butte, and Mt. Elden.

Many thanks!! Good to know! I already knew about the BIA Pima dispatching and frequency, but did not know if the 172.7250 was in use. From La Mosca to Mt. Elden is some serious distance and a lot of ground to cover. I don't recall where Roof Butte is right away, will have to look in my notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.