Navigatible Waterways

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

I was interested in the VHF interop freq pairs the FCC made available to public safety. However, I am unable to determine if the county I live in is allowed to use them. The regs state that you must be 110 miles from a navigatible waterway. The area is in upstate South Carolina and borders Lake Keowee and Lake Hartwell. How do you find out if the lakes are considered navigatible?

Bob

nd5y

Go to the FCC web site or Google and find the document called FCC 00-348
It has a map that shows what areas can use those freqs.
I think they can only be used in some of the western states.

trainman111

I just took a look at 00-348 and all the areas that you can use marine freqs. are out west. Here in the Richmond area im getting someone talking on 156.225 with a PL of 225.1 or 225.7. I just did a search and the county I live in (Chesterfield) has a license for this frequency along with 5 other entities. How is this possible considering I live less than 20 mins. from a navigatable river that also has ships on it?

trainman111

Now according to this page, http://www.noftc.com/Marine Frequencies.htm 156.225 (CH. 64A) is designated to the US for Gov't purposes and in Canada for commercial fishing. I guess this page must be wrong because I looked at other pages and as you said CH 64A is not listed as a US Marine VHF channel. Back to the frequency. Does anyone know what Chesterfield Cty, VA uses this frequency for? I'm assuming its them but I could be wrong. The user is transmitting with a PL of 225.7.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Check out this: Chesterfield, County of. Looks like the input to a repeater on 154.755 operated by the county. If you look at the map, keep in mind that the location pinpointed is probably just the antenna location, not necessarily the actual user's location.

BirkenVogt

Channels 25, 84 and 85 are all duplex channels. Which ones are being paired with which when used for public safety? i.e. actual frequencies transmit and receive?

Birken

trainman111

So far its only been 156.225. I dont think they are actually transmitting on this frequency though. I looked up some more info and with the help of others found that a local sheriffs office is transmitting on 156.2175 with the same PL. I think that its just because the two freqs. are so close it comes across on both.

Status
Not open for further replies.