Navtex on 518 (Any Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
:( Since I moved I have not been able to get a good signal on 518 to decode navtex messages, are there any other navtex frequencies I can try in the other bands that send out navtex messages, any frequencies that are busy I can try tonight.
Steve

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Guess Canada is off HF. You might also search for "wefax" to see what might be on HF, but IMHO many of the web sites seem to have out-of-date information. Sometimes I add a year to the search criteria to limit the results. HTH.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Navtex info

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Guess Canada is off HF. You might also search for "wefax" to see what might be on HF, but IMHO many of the web sites seem to have out-of-date information. Sometimes I add a year to the search criteria to limit the results. HTH.

Yea I have noticed a lot of web sites that have out-dated information, I'll try moving my antenna into another location and see if that makes a difference.
Steve

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have 4.2095 MHz as International NAVTEX. I do hear data quite often, but never bothered trying to decode it.

Just looked it up and found this, so you may be in luck.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Navtex Frequency

I have 4.2095 MHz as International NAVTEX. I do hear data quite often, but never bothered trying to decode it.

Just looked it up and found this, so you may be in luck.

:wink: Thanks so much for the frequency I will give it a try tonight, the conditions are very good on the radio, I was just listening to a person in Chicago talking to a person in Saint Martinique in the 40M ham band.
Steve

eorange

You're welcome! Let me know if you get a good NAVTEX decode. I did fire up MultiPSK and tried to decode it, but just got garbage. To me, it didn't sound exactly like NAVTEX, but maybe it was another type of data at that time.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Navtex

You're welcome! Let me know if you get a good NAVTEX decode. I did fire up MultiPSK and tried to decode it, but just got garbage. To me, it didn't sound exactly like NAVTEX, but maybe it was another type of data at that time.

Yep I am listening off and on to see if a signals comes up, I'll post hear if I get anything.
Steve

eorange

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's SITOR B, not A.

OemUser

:( Since I moved I have not been able to get a good signal on 518 to decode navtex messages, are there any other navtex frequencies I can try in the other bands that send out navtex messages, any frequencies that are busy I can try tonight.
Steve

Saint, I'm not all that far from you, there is a good booming signal on 518 tonight (0240 hrs, 2140 local), clean decode with MultiPsk.

I know that you are restricted for antenna(s)....I'm using a home brew vertical dipole (22" per leg) made from 3/4 copper pipe leaning in the corner of my closet.....don't know why but it works.....

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Navtex

Saint, I'm not all that far from you, there is a good booming signal on 518 tonight (0240 hrs, 2140 local), clean decode with MultiPsk.

I know that you are restricted for antenna(s)....I'm using a home brew vertical dipole (22" per leg) made from 3/4 copper pipe leaning in the corner of my closet.....don't know why but it works.....

Thanks for the post, I have not picked up a navtex signal since I moved about a quarter of a mile from my other house, I an now on the 4 floor of a six story building facing north and have a discone antenna on my fourth floor balcony, the other place I lived I was only two stories high but facing south and I picked up 518 MHz navtex signals all the time.
Steve

OemUser

I call this my "silly stik".

a) one 4 foot length of 3/4 " dowel...

b) one 4 foot length of 3/4 " copper pipe

c) 3 6" or 8" ty-wraps (colour of your choice)

d) roll of black electrical tape

e) length of tv coax with connectors ( I used the white RG6 variety from the Source, length determined by your needs)

f) adapter from "F connector to BNC" ( again from the Source)

1) Take 1 Tywrap and tighten it on the wood dowel about 1/2 " from one end. Cut the excess tywrap tail off.

2) Cut the copper pipe into two 22" pieces.

3) Place one copper pipe piece over the wooden dowel and slide it to the tightened tywrap.

4) Take another Tywrap and snug it up to the copper pipe and tighten the tywrap (Leave the tywrap tail on). The copper pipe should now have a tywrap at each end so that it can not come off the wooden dowel.

5) Slide the other copper pipe over the dowel up to the tywrap.

6) Snug the last tywrap up to the end of the copper pipe and tighten. Cut the tywrap tail off of this one.

You should now have 2 copper elements separated by an insulator (the tywrap with a tail) and about a 4" wooden tail.

Cut the connector off of 1 end of your TV coax and strip/separate the coax braid and center conductor.

I striped/separated about 3 ".

Tape the braid to one element and the center conductor to the other element.

tape the coax to the tywrap tail .....the coax is now at 90 degrees to the dowel in the center of the 2 elements.

Use the F to BNC adapter at the other end, stand it in a corner (or on the balcony) and enjoy.

SCPD

QRT
I have copied NAVTEX around the following freqs so far;
16.805, 12.630, 12.578, 8.416, 8.432 and 6.312

Attachments

• whatimdoing_navtex002.jpg
    whatimdoing_navtex002.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 279
Status
Not open for further replies.