NAVTEX reception help

freyhaus1

...seeing if anyone may have some tips on reception regarding NAVTEX broadcasts?...i live appx 180 nautical miles from the new orleans uscg navtex transmitter, which is well within their published range for good reception...i am using a tecsun pl-880 on 517khz usb and have tried with the internal ferrite antenna as well as my inverted v dipole (decode is with black cat systems navtex decoder for android)...i can barely, barely hear the signal at times, but too much interference/static to have a copyable signal.

any suggestions on improving signal capture or are there too many space and atmospheric issues to overcome?

thanks!

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
I built an ultra simple homebrew loop which let me hear NAVTEX:

TAC4

Try a different frequency, Boston USCG 8415 USB at 6 hour
intervals. Saint and Merlin get the credit, there info.

Mother of God a full wave dipole cut for 517 Khz would be
approximately 453 feet one leg. 900 feet total length. That
can't be right I have to check my math lol.

Last edited:

freyhaus1

...seeing if anyone may have some tips on reception regarding NAVTEX broadcasts?...i live appx 180 nautical miles from the new orleans uscg navtex transmitter, which is well within their published range for good reception...i am using a tecsun pl-880 on 517khz usb and have tried with the internal ferrite antenna as well as my inverted v dipole (decode is with black cat systems navtex decoder for android)...i can barely, barely hear the signal at times, but too much interference/static to have a copyable signal.

any suggestions on improving signal capture or are there too many space and atmospheric issues to overcome?

thanks!
...excellent link, thanks...it is definitely a noise issue here in the deep south in the summertime and my wire antenna does pick up a lot of noise...i will try the loop antenna configuration, that sound like it would be within my abilities...
i do receive the regular uscg hf marine broadcasts on 8402 and 4316 loud and clear like they're next door and easily decode their wefax transmissions on the same freq's...Navtex is certainly going to be a challenge!

merlin

517 KHz is useless for me because of the noise. 4209.0, 8414.90, is up to time of day and propagation.
Times are 0015Z and 1730Z, so there are long spans of no signal.
When they do broadcast, again, I am fighting noise and propagation fading. When Boston or New Orleans comes in good, I do get good copy
for several hours and a repeat after 6 hours for several hours.
Days are never the same, if it is dead today, tomorrow may be hot.
A tip is just park on a frequency and configured for copy, then get some sleep, watch movies or ?? then see what is logged next morning.
Like you, Pt Reyes should be always good, sometimes it is, sometimes nothing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A loop is almost certainly going to help with the noise issue this low in frequency. Have you thought about trying an inexpensive one like the MLA30+ (via eBay)?

Mike

freyhaus1

...thank you for the suggestion, i was thinking about a loop antenna...any opinions on active vs. passive?...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Passive loops have no amplifier to compensate for the low signal levels; as such it's not appropriate for portables like you have. The actives do have an amp

Check out our loops wiki and you will see tons of designs and offerings. Just remember that Wellbrook - considered by many to be the top- is no longer around.

Mike