Navy Docking w/Civilian Tugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Am curious to know if anyone has monitored ship/tug comms at Navy facilities. In the Norfolk area, the old 140 MHz tug freqs are silent, and I read somewhere that Moran has tugs dedicated to this duty with special comm equipment. UHF AM, maybe? Anybody hear anything?

In Norfolk, I haven't caught any docking comms at the Navy base. Normal marine channels (and normal-duty tugs) in use where logistic ships are in layberth at civilian facilities. Ditto for civilian shipyards.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

KB9ERX

Premium Subscriber
Allen,
Do you monitor the base P25 system? Perhaps a radio from that is the special comm equipment? I don't see a TG listed for tugs in the NS Norfolk list, but just below it, NS Kings Bay has a TG for tugs, so there is some precedence. I was down in Norfolk a while back, and there are more TGs active than listed here. Might be worth a shot.

73, Eric

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Allen,
Do you monitor the base P25 system? Perhaps a radio from that is the special comm equipment? I don't see a TG listed for tugs in the NS Norfolk list, but just below it, NS Kings Bay has a TG for tugs, so there is some precedence. I was down in Norfolk a while back, and there are more TGs active than listed here. Might be worth a shot.

73, Eric
I doubt the Naval Base would have a channel for docking ops with Tugs. If they did it would probably be encrypted. I wonder if the Tugs have a Hydra radio, being as most carriers have Hydra radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.