Navy ELMR (DOD 14C Trunk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I programmed all the sites separately, including the two for Little Creek/Ft. Story. Found very little overlap from one site to the next except each site appeared carry the security/police "Ch-1" from the other sites. Fire carries across as well, but is centralized and would probably appear on all sites.

The most notable exception was that Little Creek didn't appear on the site for Norfolk Naval Station. However, I was picking something up on 467.55 conventional that sounded VERY similar at times to traffic I had heard on Little Creek's security Ch.1.

Talkgroups from Norfolk Naval Station:

27011 - Confirming trucks entering the base...approval and destinations
27028 - heard once...encrypted
27274 - half-encrypted...probably the base side.
27382 - "this is dispatch" "trailer ready to go?"
27413 - not much heard
27438 - no audio
27952 - all encrypted
29993 - hauling, palletizing

Neither scanner recorded quite as much as I expected, and I'll have to check the programming carefully. Reviewing the audio on the marine band uncovered a few other things. More on that hopefully sometime this weekend.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ecps92

467.5500 is a GMRS Repeater input, depending on your make/model, I would venture an image of another band. However also see when 467.5500 is active if you get anything on 462.5500 :confused:
I programmed all the sites separately, including the two for Little Creek/Ft. Story. Found very little overlap from one site to the next except each site appeared carry the security/police "Ch-1" from the other sites. Fire carries across as well, but is centralized and would probably appear on all sites.

The most notable exception was that Little Creek didn't appear on the site for Norfolk Naval Station. However, I was picking something up on 467.55 conventional that sounded VERY similar at times to traffic I had heard on Little Creek's security Ch.1.

Talkgroups from Norfolk Naval Station:

27011 - Confirming trucks entering the base...approval and destinations
27028 - heard once...encrypted
27274 - half-encrypted...probably the base side.
27382 - "this is dispatch" "trailer ready to go?"
27413 - not much heard
27438 - no audio
27952 - all encrypted
29993 - hauling, palletizing

Neither scanner recorded quite as much as I expected, and I'll have to check the programming carefully. Reviewing the audio on the marine band uncovered a few other things. More on that hopefully sometime this weekend.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
467.5500 is a GMRS Repeater input, depending on your make/model, I would venture an image of another band. However also see when 467.5500 is active if you get anything on 462.5500 :confused:

Im well aware of what 467.55 is, but it still indicates something unusual. Consider the fact that I got a lot of hits, in different locations, on the same frequency, of something that AFAIK should be showing up on different frequencies due to trunking--and which is conspicuously missing from the site at NOB, even though similar things from other nearby bases appear there.

Whether this is an image or not, it should tell you that there may be an unknown conventional channel down there that hasn't previously been reported. I'll watch it next time I'm down there, but I live in Richmond and have limited opportunity to chase it down. Just letting you guys know this turned up.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
27011 sounds like NAVSTA truck control. I'll bring my scanner with me next time i'm at work.
BTW, 27006 SECURITY 1 includes NAVSTA, NSA HR HQ, and NSA HR NORTHWEST ANNEX
27007 SECURITY 2 is mainly PC (parking control) and Vehicle Turn-arounds that take place at various gates

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
27011 sounds like NAVSTA truck control. I'll bring my scanner with me next time i'm at work.
BTW, 27006 SECURITY 1 includes NAVSTA, NSA HR HQ, and NSA HR NORTHWEST ANNEX
27007 SECURITY 2 is mainly PC (parking control) and Vehicle Turn-arounds that take place at various gates

It was a vehicle turnaround that made me suspect 467.55 as a link to Little Creek. (it seems to dominate their traffic)

I also kept getting a hit that turned out to be the NWA brig when I looked it up. (missed that one when
programming).

Question: The PSR800 is limited in what it logs. On conventional freqs, no squelch data. On trunks, no frequency data--limiting my ability to figure out what might be happening on 467.55.

As far as you know, does the trunked site at NAVSTA tend to favor certain frequencies. Is there possibly a freq that will consistently be used first as a voice channel if available? If so, it might explain picking up fairly consistent traffic on 467.55 due to image, overload, etc. Still trying to put rhyme or reason to what I heard and where I heard it.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.