Navy NSF Dahlgren 164.9625

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
NSF Dahlgren NSWCDD and the EEA at Pumpkin Neck use digital DMR voice on 164.9625 for Range Control and related activities. (Do not be fooled if you can listen to the DMR, the "Army call box" recording is at a navy installation--this is NOT AP HILL.) This does not seem to be simulcast on either the inverted voice 149-151 MHz LTR nor the 380 MHz P25 systems. Most activity seems to be in the mornings.

(Not submitted to the database as the form never seems appropriate and often fails to work for my browser so not worth the time.)

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I need to be a more cautious and back off of what I said -I would delete the previous post if I could. I have now heard both Army and Navy people. (Note that the bases have a joint UAV project and it might be associated with that.) It does say "Army 1 Gate". I distrusted that due to hearing only Navy earlier mentioned other than tht and the signal indications. On this weekend hunting activity matched with hunting at AP Hill. So it, at least my thinking at the present, seems like AP Hill with a repeater to the north. Sorry for sound so certain (and probpbably wrong) before, but with information at hand at the time, it seemed right.

Last edited:

QDP2012

Thanks for both sharing your initial finding and updating it. That's how we all learn when discovering new things.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
correction--finally got it for sure

Read to find the actual user of the DMR on 164.9625...(nither of my initial identifications were correct)
Well, I am embarrassed by getting wrong twice and have to apologize. Let me explain...Delivery trunks kept coming up to the gate call box that is on the system by mistake. They were trying to deliver to the USN which they said to the box which transmits on the radio system. The callbox auto IDs as "Army Call Box 511". A good number of (I assume arriving the right place) visitors were from Navy Indian Head but a few were Army ("ARL Adelphi"). Operations did not correlate with AP Hill nor was it strong there but was very strong at Dahlgren which is involved with the Army in UAV work. So I made a wrong conclusion. Now for where it really is (I did not know this places existed even though I am a recent retired Army civilian employee)...drum roll...

164.9625 DMR simplex U.S. Army Blossom Point Research (also called Blossom Point Field Test Area in some maps), MD (just across the water from Dahlgren).

This is an ARL facility. In working with ARL at other test locations, it was never mentioned and I thought it had closed.

What finally gave it away was that they gave directions to someone today to go back up Blossom Point Rd. to the other entrance as he was at the Army one instead of Navy one. The USN Blossom Point Tracking Facility with satellite dishes is right next door. The outer gate encloses both. I assume someone will correct my mistake in the database.

Sorry about that but you can see how easy the mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.