Navy SE Monitoring with BC396

Status
Not open for further replies.

grossmanms

I have a BC396XLT and am wondering what settings to use on my XT-Pro (Butel) software to monitor them. I have all the frequencies and talkgroups programmed, but I can't here a thing. I am 5 miles from the Naval Coastal Systems Center but can't hear a thing. Also, does anyone know the settings to use to monitor the old VHF Trunked system at the Navy Base here in Panama City? Thanks in advance.

wise871

Database Admin
The Control channels for PC are 380.46250 and 380.62500. Make sure you have it set to P25 Standard. You should be getting a signal indication if your picking up the control channels. There isn't much traffic on NSA Panama City in the evenings. As for the old system, I have to look up the old info and band plan but it is no longer in use. I'm on my way to work but will post info later if you still need it.

wise871

Database Admin
Here is the old info for Naval Costal Systems

Band 1
Base:136.000
Step:25
Offset:380

Security 48
Security Tac-3 112
Fire Dispatch 208
Base Maint 368
Unidentified 1200
Operations 1744

KE5TLF

Makes little difference what level of usage a system is or isn't at. If it is still on the air with an active control channel it should be in the DB. You know as well as I do that just because a base gets a 380 site, that it doesn't mean their old VHF system just vanishes into thin air. (Saufley Field ring a bell?)

grossmanms - After trying the freqs. Dan posted please report if any are still an active control channel. If so then this system needs to be put in the DB, regardless of it's level of usage or lack thereof.

As to your intial inquiry any number of things could be giving you problems.
Do you have more than just the primary CC loaded?
Most software programs have a setting to download just primary CC's, primary +alt CC's, or all freqs. (more on why this matters below)

Can you hold on the system then find the active control channel by selecting each programmed freq.?
Even at 5 miles with the stock antenna you may not be receiving a strong enough signal for proper decoding. Many of these sites are notoriously only powerful enough to cover just their intended area plus very little more and stock scanner antennas are notoriously bad at picking up most anything other than the strongest of signals.

Are you seeing any info displayed while holding on the active control channel if you can indeed hear it?

For the time being be sure you have all listed freqs. for the site programmed. Most of these sites are known to rotate control channels regularly and it is possible there has also been a change to this rotation. At the very least you will most certainly need to have both the primary and alt CC's loaded.

The groups that are posted may have all gone encrypted.
Set the system to ID SEARCH mode to possibly discover any unknown TGIDs.
As metioned is the system type set to P25 Standard?
Make sure you haven't inadvertently turned on attenuation.

Please be sure to report anything you find that may have changed or is missing.

Last edited:

KE5TLF

Also once you get all the bugs ironed out and know you can reliably receive this site it would be quite awesome if you could run Pro96Com on the site for some long periods during the weekday daylight hours if possible. :D

KE5TLF

...and it just so happens there's some good ducting going on right now and I'm decoding NOLF Barin and it's showing the active CC at this moment for NSA PC as being 380.625, so again make sure you've loaded both primary and alternate CC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.