NBA All Star Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
I was going through the new licenses today and noticed Bearcom was issued a whole poopload of frequencies. When I mean a whole poopload I mean a whole poopload. A total of 119 frequencies have been issued that are effective on the 3rd and expire on the 20th. I have a feeling this is going to be used for the upcoming NBA All Star Game. There are three control points the Dallas Convention Center, American Airlines Center and Cowboys Stadium and the there is a 20 mile radius location for a point in southern Irving/northern Grand Prairie. The only thing that sucks though is that all of these have been license for only Mototrbo emissions.

ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQLH962 - bearcom operating llc

Matt

Last edited:

soncorn

I am trying to figure out the logistics of setting up a temporary Arlington TRS police feed for the event.

Anybody have some insight?

Anybody interested in that?

I am already planning on running trunk88 on the system to fish for more new TGs. Quite a few showed up during the various football games at the Death Star this season.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Scanner Feed

I am trying to figure out the logistics of setting up a temporary Arlington TRS police feed for the event.

Anybody have some insight?

Anybody interested in that?

I am already planning on running trunk88 on the system to fish for more new TGs. Quite a few showed up during the various football games at the Death Star this season.

There are a few ways of doing it.. if you use Windows you can use Winamp with an audio connection right into your scanner and use the plug in icecast/shoutcast encoder and server and have it run on your machine. You could also ask Gordon to see if you could set up a temporary feed up on here which will save you from having to run the server side and having people connect to your system and eat up your bandwidth and all you would need if a encoder program. I think what they use on rr is icecast which I think is shoutcast compatible but I honestly can't remember. I on the other hand have a dedicated Linux machine that I use as my encoder box which tossed the audio out to here onto RR. The actually setting up isn't that hard either but if you need help with that part I can help you out.

Matt

soncorn

There are a few ways of doing it.. if you use Windows you can use Winamp with an audio connection right into your scanner and use the plug in icecast/shoutcast encoder and server and have it run on your machine. You could also ask Gordon to see if you could set up a temporary feed up on here which will save you from having to run the server side and having people connect to your system and eat up your bandwidth and all you would need if a encoder program. I think what they use on rr is icecast which I think is shoutcast compatible but I honestly can't remember. I on the other hand have a dedicated Linux machine that I use as my encoder box which tossed the audio out to here onto RR. The actually setting up isn't that hard either but if you need help with that part I can help you out.

Matt

Who is Gordon and how do I contact him?

I think it would have to be hosted on RR in order to have any quality of service.

I am waiting to receive a pro-97 to put up a Fort Worth FD feed, so I can use whatever I get setup for the NBA event for the FW Fire feed.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Who is Gordon and how do I contact him?

I think it would have to be hosted on RR in order to have any quality of service.

I am waiting to receive a pro-97 to put up a Fort Worth FD feed, so I can use whatever I get setup for the NBA event for the FW Fire feed.

Gordon Edwards .. he is the one that used to run ScanAmerica before it got bought out by RR.. and now he is the one in charge of the feeds here.

The address listed to contact them is audio@radioreference.com

Matt

soncorn

I on the other hand have a dedicated Linux machine that I use as my encoder box which tossed the audio out to here onto RR. The actually setting up isn't that hard either but if you need help with that part I can help you out.

Matt

Can you describe your linux setup with a little more detail? I would actually feel more comfortable doing that and I have a spare laptop with Linux on it already.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Can you describe your linux setup with a little more detail? I would actually feel more comfortable doing that and I have a spare laptop with Linux on it already.

Well I have an old P4-800 that is running Darkice for the encoder.. my scanner is plugged into the microphone/line in the sound card and the audio is getting encoded and sent out to RR. This is my darkice configuration file

bitrateMode = cbr # constant bit rate
format = mp3 # format of the stream: ogg vorbis
bitrate = 24 # bitrate of the mp3 stream sent to the server
quality = 1.0 # encoding quality
server = sources.scanamerica.us
# host name of the server
port = 80 # port of the IceCast server, usually 8000
password = # source password to the IceCast server
mountPoint = tx_dallas # mount point of this stream on the IceCast server
name = Dallas Fire & Police Scanner Feed (Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex Scanning)
# name of the stream
description = Live Scanner Feed For Dallas, Texas
url = Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex Scanning
# URL related to the stream
genre = scanner # genre of the stream
public = yes # advertise this stream?

Then I run it from the command line using

darkice -c /etc/darkice.cfg &

The encoding on this machine takes only about 25% of the CPU which is not bad considering how slow of a machine it is.

Matt

soncorn

Okay I have a feed up and running on the Arlington TRS Police and event channels in preparation for the game & events that end Feb 14.

After that I will transition the feed over to the Fort Worth Fire Department.

The direct link is
Arlington Police Live Scanner Audio Feed

I have requested it be added to Tarrant County, TX feed listing.

csfd77 has graciously donated a pro-97 for the fire feed.

If someone else can donate another analog trunking scanner I can also keep the Arlington feed going.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Okay I have a feed up and running on the Arlington TRS Police and event channels in preparation for the game & events that end Feb 14.

After that I will transition the feed over to the Fort Worth Fire Department.

The direct link is
Arlington Police Live Scanner Audio Feed

I have requested it be added to Tarrant County, TX feed listing.

csfd77 has graciously donated a pro-97 for the fire feed.

If someone else can donate another analog trunking scanner I can also keep the Arlington feed going.

Good work.. I will have to take a listen.. :)

Matt

soncorn

I still have to get darkice working under linux. For the time being I am just running scannercast on a windows box.

I get the same error as this:
http://forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-administration/169769-darkice-error.html

Code:
DarkIce: LameLibEncoder.cpp:75: lame lib opening underlying sink error [0]

Do you have any insights?

Once the pro-97 is hooked up the tags that I am getting with scannercast won't be an issue and I would rather not be using this windows machine over the long term.

Last edited:

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
I still have to get darkice working under linux. For the time being I am just running scannercast on a windows box.

I get the same error as this:
http://forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-administration/169769-darkice-error.html

Code:
DarkIce: LameLibEncoder.cpp:75: lame lib opening underlying sink error [0]

Do you have any insights?

Once the pro-97 is hooked up the tags that I am getting with scannercast won't be an issue and I would rather not be using this windows machine over the long term.

Ya I have seen that error. It usually means it can't connect to IceCast server.. so it could be either.. a DNS problem and can't resolve the host name, the port could be wrong or it's trying the wrong password. But I am thinking that most likely it is a DNS problem..

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.