NC dot maintaince freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD70MAC

Dot

The NCDOT here in Davie uses low band very little,most of them talk on their Nextel's . Davie used low band the most ever in the last big snow event. I hear Iredell DOT the most ,but cannot remember the frequencies as they are in my Motorola Maxtrac low band & HT750 low band. I have heard the flagmen in lots of places.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Low band is still in use in WNC, I've heard salt trucks use 47.060. I'm purely guessing but I would say low band will still be used for a while in WNC since the only place Nextel has coverage is the immediate Asheville-Buncombe area.

Drafin

I'm assuming you are not talking about NW NC , NCFireman11?

I never hear a peep up in my neck of the woods (Hickory, Lenoir area).

Draf

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
No I was talking about Yancey and Mitchell Counties, north of Asheville where I'm originally from. I would venture to guess the far western counties of Cherokee, Clay, Swain, Graham, and others probably still use NCDOT low band channels as well though since some of these areas have zero cell phone coverage, much less a nextel.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Well too late for recent winter storms but for future reference I believe Raleigh's street crews are using 158.760Mhz. Will keep it programmed into the radios to verify its use in the future.

Marshall KE4ZNR

CommRX

Ncdot

It seems I no longer hear the dot workers and trucks on the low band freqs 47.46 ect.,in pitt beufort and craven. Have they switched to vhf hi?
Thanks
Railroad

Short and simple - No, they are still licensed for low band in the counties mentioned above. Cell phones are in heavy use as everyone has free mobile to mobile nowadays. If you want some good action, tune into the VHF handheld frequencies where there are flaggers. Work release inmates are a riot to monitor. A radio with close call is perfect for this.

kd8x

Mecklenburg IMAP

In Charlotte area IMAP can be heard on 156.045 vhf and the clt 800 system NCDOT1 tgrp.....

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
156.045 is a statewide mobile channel, but, in the Charlotte area, it is also an input to the repeater on Anderson Mountain on 159.180 / 107.2.

The site has nice coverage of I-85 at Kings Mountain, up through Charlotte, up I-77 to I-40 and over I-40 toward 321.

SD70MAC

The NCDOT here in Davie uses low band very little,most of them talk on their Nextel's . Davie used low band the most ever in the last big snow event. I hear Iredell DOT the most ,but cannot remember the frequencies as they are in my Motorola Maxtrac low band & HT750 low band. I have heard the flagmen in lots of places.

I finally heard the Davie NCDOT flagmen on 158.400 107.2 after all this time.

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
Low band maybe around for awhile, just seen three new trooper cars with new hidden 800 antennas and a low band antenna. I would like to see a low band murs lineup

Last edited:

spacellamaman

just a FYI

Rowan (Division 9) has a fair amount of traffic on their repeater (47.38 PL 107.2) during bad weather. The rest of the time, you hardly ever hear any traffic. There is rarely any traffic on the input side (45.72 PL 151.4), mostly just flaggers if it's even used at all.

The past few days I made a concerted effort to log all low-band to see what all DOT was still using and was a bit perplexed by 45.72 PL 151.4, not 107.2, til I found this post. I never realized there was a different input PL. At the same time, just to confuse things, I also logged 42.06, 42.10 and 42.12 all 203.5 which I suppose are MO SHP.

so it seems 45.72 PL 151.4 is still in use, as are just about all the other legacy low band I am pleased to report.

That is all.

Flyham

I finally got to here some traffic on one of the NC DOT VIPER Tgs.

NCDOT DIV 8 - TG ID 51805 (yes its already in the database)

Salt / Sand / Scraper operations in well DOT Div 8. Mostly working roads in eastern Randolph County and Western Chatham County. Heard of the Riverdale Viper tower. double checked with UNI Trunker.

CFP387

...so it seems 45.72 PL 151.4 is still in use...

Yes sir it is, at least here in Rowan. Since it's an input frequency, they can switch over and use it as simplex and not hit the repeater. It's mainly used by flaggers, but during snow removal, it's used truck to truck or truck to dozer or motor grader for localized ops.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I'm confused, are they using 45.72 as a talkaround? That frequency and PL are for the Salisbury repeater input. So if they're talking on 45.72 (151.4) then it'll be repeated all the time.

trumpetman

Database Admin
The DOT repeaters are PL steered like the NCFS radio system. Same output frequency, output PL, and input frequency. Different input PLs. The 151.4 PL should be for the Rowan repeater. I believe there are 4 repeaters for division 9 so you could expect to find 4 different PLs on the input. I'm not sure the radios are programmed to do talk around on the output of the repeater but I do know the car to car channel is used extensively. If you're hearing traffic on 45.72 it should also be on 47.38.

SCPD

QRT
The DOT repeaters are PL steered like the NCFS radio system. Same output frequency, output PL, and input frequency. Different input PLs. The 151.4 PL should be for the Rowan repeater. I believe there are 4 repeaters for division 9 so you could expect to find 4 different PLs on the input. I'm not sure the radios are programmed to do talk around on the output of the repeater but I do know the car to car channel is used extensively. If you're hearing traffic on 45.72 it should also be on 47.38.

When areas use the output as talk around it will use a different pl for input bypassing the repeater. When the frequency is same for input and output in repeater and talk around wanted either it will use a different pl for input and output then is simulcast ed over the repeater end, or cq on output and pl on input same for repeated use. It may be set for csq on receive thus they hear all the traffic on the lowband talk around and repeater since the receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.