NC, JOHNSTON & WAKE CO's Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow5

Premium Subscriber
New to Johnston and Wake Co area. Can anyone explain what systems are in use for Law Enforcement and what scanner would you suggest. Thanks.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
New to Johnston and Wake Co area. Can anyone explain what systems are in use for Law Enforcement and what scanner would you suggest. Thanks.

Welcome to RR.com and the Central NC Area!
Good to have you with us.
As far as monitoring in this area a digital voice capable scanner is a must.

Let's break down the 2 counties you listed and describe their comms:

1) Wake County: Wake County Communications operate as part of the Statewide Mixed Analog/Digital voice Motorola Trunked System known as "VIPER". All of the Public Safety Users (PD, FD, EMS) operate in a digital voice format on their talkgroups, hence my earlier comment about needing a digital voice capable scanner. A regular analog only voice scanner is not gonna cut it in this area. :)
If you look at the VIPER database listing I linked to above you will see where Wake County makes up a good portion of the entire VIPER Talkgroup layout.

2) Johnston County: Johnston County is a bit more monitoring unfriendly.
"JoCo" uses a mixed voice (Analog/Provoice Digital) EDACS System for Comms in their County.
Big problem there is that a majority of the comms are conducted in digital Provoice format and there is not a commercially available scanner that can decode Provoice. There are a handful of analog talkgroups on JoCo's system that operate in Analog voice format and can be received with an EDACS capable scanner but the majority do not.

So to sum up: Wake County is an open book: all you need is a digital voice capable scanner and you can listen to a majority of Public Safety Comms.
Johnston County, on the other hand, uses a proprietary type of radio system which prohibits you from being able to tune into most of the comms.

Hope this helps you out!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

climberkid

KM4FFB
If you're in Johnston and want Wayne (you'd be my neighbor) you will need a digital scanner. Check out the wiki for system types, but I believe neither wake nor Johnston is digital.

Alex

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
If you're in Johnston and want Wayne (you'd be my neighbor) you will need a digital scanner. Check out the wiki for system types, but I believe neither wake nor Johnston is digital.

Alex

Alex,
With all due respect, please make sure your information is accurate before posting
a response. Look at my post right above yours for an accurate response to the Thread starters question.
Yes, Wake County IS operating using Digital Voice Talkgroups and has been for a few years now.
Yes, Johnston County is operating a Proprietary type of Digital Voice System called EDACS Provoice which cannot be monitored using any commercially available Scanner.
Bottom Line (like I said above): You must have a digital voice capable scanner to monitor Wake County Public Safety.
Thanks! :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

climberkid

KM4FFB
I'm sorry Marshal. I am ready for my punishment.
I could have saved myself a lot of embarrassment if i hadn't been on tapatalk, it turns out. Only the first 2 lines of your first response showed, so I didn't see the detailed info you wrote. :(

Alex

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.