NC Metro Area Federal Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Came across some P25 traffic on 172.875 while mobile in High Point this afternoon. Sounded like a distant repeater.

Anyone have any ideas on that one? My search returned nothing...

trumpetman

Database Admin
Logged 165.9500 NAC 003 today during search & store. Looks like the Charlotte IRC CID repeater. The Greensboro IRS CID repeater is 165.9500 NAC 002.

Also, the Blue Ridge Parkway setup is 99% done and 99% of what is done is confirmed. Just missing 2 DPLs for Cowee Bald & Doughton Mtn. so if you're in the area and got room in your scan list, plug em in. Any mixed mode conversations would be appreicated too where you can confirm the NAC matching with the DPL.

Edit: Changed 169.9500 to 165.9500. Good eye Jake.

Last edited:

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
logged 169.9500 nac 003 today during search & store. Looks like the charlotte irc cid repeater. The greensboro irs cid repeater is 169.9500 nac 002.

Also, the blue ridge parkway setup is 99% done and 99% of what is done is confirmed. Just missing 2 dpls for cowee bald & doughton mtn. So if you're in the area and got room in your scan list, plug em in. Any mixed mode conversations would be appreicated too where you can confirm the nac matching with the dpl.

165.950 ;)

trumpetman

Database Admin
Just heard Kings Mountain 401 call into 800 on the Mt. Mitchell repeater [analog] for a 28 check. Looks like there are a few state parks that rely on BRP Dispatch, I've heard Mt. Mitchell State Park 851 check 10-42 several times, and now Kings Mtn. is calling them.

Just thought I'd throw this random find out there for those interested.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Kings Mountain is a National Park, so I would think they would use the federal frequencies. Not sure what to make on your Mount Mitchell listen/find. I have a family member who works with State Parks and he has never mentioned any of their rangers/units having federal frequencies in their VHF radios.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Well, after some research, I see the federal portion of Kings Mountain. Before, I was thinking it's just a state park, but it looks like the Kings Mountain National Military Park is also a part of the state park or vice versa.

I can understand Mt. Mitchell relying on the BRP because that's the closest law enforcement available, but Kings Mountain still makes me wonder.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Caught 414.5625 NAC 168 this morning. Not sure if it was simplex or repeated. 100% encrypted. Only search results show an article from March 2009 in MT Fed Files where the same frequency was logged in Houston, TX. For those of you keeping up, throw it in your scanners and see if you catch anything on it.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Well, after some research, I see the federal portion of Kings Mountain. Before, I was thinking it's just a state park, but it looks like the Kings Mountain National Military Park is also a part of the state park or vice versa.

Just for clarity ... although the town of Kings Mountain is in N.C., Kings Mountain National Park and Kings Mountain State Park are adjoining parks in S.C.

NC Parks personnel were using 159.420 yesterday evening (11/01) to coordinate the extraction of a female hiker from S.C. who had been lost for five days in rough terrain near the BRP in Sparta / Alleghany County.

There was alot of discussion about whether to fly or walk the subject out of the remote area she was found in. They ultimately decided to fly her out in the morning, and the channel went quiet about midnight. State Parks has a repeater on 159.420 in the Sparta area, but I'm unsure if I was hearing the comms via that repeater.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
Thanks for the clarification Jeff, I've never seen the signs for the military park, only signs for the state park, so I learned something.

I've got another frequency to add that might be related. 171.7750 [NAC 293]

An another thread on the forums suggests this frequency is in use at Kings Mtn. National Military Park, Cowpens National Battlefield, & Ocmulgee National Monument in Georgia. My bet is Kings Mtn. but it's only an ASSumption.

Thanks!

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I believe the National Park entrance is along Hwy 161, coming from York towards I-85 and the town of Kings Mountain. I haven't been there in years.

As recently as 2008, the park was using 171.550 / DPL 125, and a repeater was in operation on the channel. Larry Van Horn / Monitoring Times had reported in one of his lists that the input frequency was 172.475 MHz.

The frequency was also used at the James K. Polk National Historic Site in Pineville (just south of town, on Polk St. / Hwy 521). I heard the channel in use a couple of times - years ago - from that location. They had a premises alarm system that would voice-announce on the channel when it was triggered.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
To those in the W-S area.....Get those radios ready for next week....I got this in my email inbox from WRAL:

White House officials say President Obama will visit Winston-Salem on Monday to talk about the economy.

Marshall KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT

168.125 used the be the input of the USFS Pisgah National Forest Repeater on 168.725. Don't know whether it still is though. And Bandit's Roost is a campground at the Kerr Scott Reservoir so that was the Corps of Engineers that you were hearing. I don't think Mt. Mitchell SP actually uses BRP 800 for dispatch I think they were just checking 10-42 with them as a courtesy since the SP and BRP are so closely linked(The only way to get to the SP is from the parkway). I haven't monitored them in a long time but they may use BRP dispatch for license checks etc. But State Park rangers usually go through the local SO. But the BRP is different animal, you may even hear Buncombe EOC on their frequency, after budget cuts they quit having 24/7 dispatch coverage and Buncombe EOC took over at night.

PS: I used to dispatch in McDowell County 20 or so years I ago and come to think of it we might have gone through BRP dispatch to contact Mt Mitchell SP but they do have their own frequency.

Last edited:

CCHLLM

Pisgah NF has several repeater sites: High Peak, Duckett Top, Sutton Top, Clingman Peak, and Grandmother Mtn and uses 168.725 with PL 103.5 on the output. There may be more now. 172.225 is the input for all, and the input tones are different for each site. In fact, with the exception of Nantahala NF, all the National Forests in NC operate on the 168.725/172.225 combo. Croatan NF uses 131.8 PL on the output, and Uwharrie NF uses 110.9. Nantahala NF uses 171.550 w/PL 103.5 in the eastern zone, and 171.475 w/PL 103.5 in the western zone. 169.900 csq simplex is the common initial USFS FireTac for all NFs in NC.

There are VIPER radios in the hands of all federal agencies with operational connections to NC and its agencies. I don't know if there is any VIPER/USFS/NPS cross patching going on, or if every individual fed unit has a VIPER radio, but if they're in NC, they have VIPER access of some kind.

Last edited:

randyK

The last few days I've been getting some P25 traffic in the Greensboro area on 169.9125 with a NAC of B00. So far all traffic I've heard has been encrypted.

Last edited:

Drafin

The last few days I've been getting some P25 traffic in the Greensboro area on 169.9125 with a NAC of B00. So far all traffic I've heard has been encrypted.

I'm getting a B00 NAC on a freq here in Caldwell county but I don't have the scanner with me to check and see what the freq was. I want to say it's 171.XXXX. Nothing in the clear on it either, but it doesn't sound encrypted, more like motorboating.

Will try to add the freq later.

Draf

trumpetman

Database Admin
Hearing CG-113 (163.1375 NAC 293) in use on the SE NC coast. Can't really tell who's using it due to encryption, but my guess would be Sector NC since SC is using another net. Also heard CG-410 (413.000) NAC 293 earlier, didn't hear what they had to say, but the girlfriend said it was something to do about flying at 100 something knots, so this backs up the idea of using it specifically for air ops. Guard was taken up on Marine 83A, and details on a vessel taking on water was heard on 22A.

I'll be here for another week if anyone has any info requests for the area; check the VIPER thread for info on the Brunswick transition, and look for several updates on the Progress Energy system in the coming days.

SD70MAC

FED frequencies ?

I was doing a search on my PSR800 last night and got these.

169.550 NAC B00 (no voice but strong clear key ups)

167.8625 (clear morris code id, no pl or NAC)

ecps92

If anyone can ID the morse, it's likely a VA Hospital Paging system

I was doing a search on my PSR800 last night and got these.

169.550 NAC B00 (no voice but strong clear key ups)

167.8625 (clear morris code id, no pl or NAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.