NC Mil-Air Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any success monitoring milair in the Charlotte area? The only frequencies I've been able to log are 290.200, 324.600, 379.200 and 292.200 but the transmissions were so brief all I caught was something to the effect of "three one-o to to two eight-o" which I assume is descending altitude. Any help would be appreciated. I've already entered most of the UHF frequencies from the Atlanta ARTCC. Also, when are good times to monitor? I've tried during both the day and night with varying success.

Last edited:

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Good luck. There isn't much around. You can hear the guys from Shaw and others in and out of Gamecock MOA on VHF-am. Usually there is the routine AAR and command post comms activity that can usually be heard daily. Also, sometimes you can catch AWACS training. After 9/11 there were routine CAPs in the area that were very interesting but I haven't heard any of that in a while. Do you have capability to monitor all MilAir bands? Check the Wiki reference on RR.

Jon

blinddog50

Charlotte....The Death Valley for MilAir listening.

Unless you have a good discone about 50 feet up.
You can pick up some action from the refueling routes but other than that it's pretty slow.
DAMMIT!

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. All I can hear is aircraft checking in ascending or descending on the UHF frequencies mentioned but they talk so fast and so brief I can't catch a call sign. It is my understanding commercial aircraft are on VHF and Military are on UHF so are these planes checking in indeed military or not necessarily military aircraft? BTW, yes I have the capability to listen to all mil air bands except HF.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
You can occasionally catch some air to air comms on VHF-Hi. Try searching between 138-144 and 148-150, AM mode in 25Khz steps. Other than than load up all the common mil air freqs like the command post freqs, METRO (weather), FSS (255.4) and so on. You can find all of these freqs on the web. Also, load up the JStars freqs (usually in the 228 Mhz range), you might be able to catch some training action for those guys. Check out this link, there is some pretty good stuff here:

http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/

Also: http://airnav.com/ has freqs for all airports, including military. It lists the CP, metro and PTD freqs when applicable. (for example enter KSSC, Shaw AFB. Look under "airport communications" and you'll find the CP, PTD freqs among others).

Jon
N4ZVY
WPYF954

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
I listen to these freqs today.alot of good listen.I live near kings mtn nc.Alot of activity.nc isnt dead you just have to find it.useing a pro-2042 and a discone on a 30 ft tower.

235.100 refueling
255.400 bull dog moa
276.500 bull dog moa
140.200 bull dog moa
138.475 bull dog moa
279.725 refueling
324.600 refueling
258.400 bull dog moa
141.900 bull dog moa
364.200 refueling

CORN

Premium Subscriber
NCFireman11 said:
Thanks for the info. All I can hear is aircraft checking in ascending or descending on the UHF frequencies mentioned but they talk so fast and so brief I can't catch a call sign. It is my understanding commercial aircraft are on VHF and Military are on UHF so are these planes checking in indeed military or not necessarily military aircraft? BTW, yes I have the capability to listen to all mil air bands except HF.

Cargo/tanker type aircraft will use VHF for ATC purposes most of the time. Also some trainers and even fighters will appear on VHF occasionally. But 90 percent of the tactical aircraft prefer UHF so they don't have to listen to the extra chatter and only hear the ATC person. The only civilian aircraft you'll hear on UHF are the DOD contractors. There's an outfit that fly Israeli IA Kfirs and old British Hawker Hunters that provide targeting opportunities as well as adversary roles against our US planes in training. They have been known to appear on the UHF band. They are also VHF equipped.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This thread is ONLY for the discussion of Military Aircraft Monitoring in North Carolina...any off topic posts will be deleted...I am going to sticky this thread for the time being and see how participation is on this topic...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A very good idea Marshall. I would recommend contacting the moderators on the milair forum and have the current discussion merged with this one. No sense having 2 parallel threads in different forums.

Someone may also want to consider putting the freqs listed in the thread into a wiki article. If this sticky gets busy, as the Maryland one has, the list will eventually get lost in the history.

73 and good luck with this - as someone else wrote, there's a fair amount of activity to be heard here, depending on where in the state you are, and it's going to take some digging to get it cataloged. Don't forget to use the various resources linked in the wiki, such as callsigns and such. Maybe we can shake some of the MT staff that live in the area to participate...though I kinda doubt it :.<< Perhaps if a few NCers pester Bob Grove enough, he'll put a web page up on his website that you can link.

Mike

Last edited:

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
Rocky Mount Area Mil-Air

Here are some Mil-Air frequencies I have been listening to over the month of March. Some have been identified but some have not.

FREQUENCY
285.500 EAGLE-1
319.700 AR TRACK 207
352.000 AR TRACK 207
377.100 WASHINGTON CENTER UHF-9
269.150 SJ-ECHO
348.650 DARE CO. BOMBING RANGE USAF
327.600 AR TRACK 202 TANKER-1

richrowl

Dare Bomb Range Freqs

These are the tower freqs for the Dare County Bombing Range
349.1 USAF Dare Primary
387.2 USAF Dare Secondary
358.8 Navy Dare Primary
320.2 Navy Dare Secondary

Aircraft transiting the range will use 122.9
Sometimes in the early mornings the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will do a Red Wolf Patrol over the range on this freq and the USCG will also fly shortcuts over the range.

Kiwi Refueling Track

USCG 1711 aircraft doing marine weather broadcasts

USCG aircraft 1711 was doing unscheduled marine weather broadcasts for mariners off eastern NC yesterday on VHF ch 16 and 22 ....sorta like a mini-commando solo op....seems that USCG Sector NC (USCG Ft.Macon) VHF radio system was on the fritz and the orbiting aircraft was being used to get the weather broadcasts out to boats in the area that Ft Macon would normally communicate with.

had never heard an aircraft used as a comm platform around here before...a great idea for supplemental comms....

Barefootdipole

ecps92

Sectors Boston, Northern New England and Southern New England
routinely use Air Assetts [Helos and Fix Wing] to provide enhanced coverage
when a storm is coming up the Coast or going to affect the Maritime interests.

barefootdipole said:
USCG aircraft 1711 was doing unscheduled marine weather broadcasts for mariners off eastern NC yesterday on VHF ch 16 and 22 ....sorta like a mini-commando solo op....seems that USCG Sector NC (USCG Ft.Macon) VHF radio system was on the fritz and the orbiting aircraft was being used to get the weather broadcasts out to boats in the area that Ft Macon would normally communicate with.

had never heard an aircraft used as a comm platform around here before...a great idea for supplemental comms....

Barefootdipole

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Moving this thread to the stickied Mil-Air Thread at the top of the forum where it should have been in the 1st place...before posting please check the stickied threads to see if your post belongs there...thanks!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR said:
Moving this thread to the stickied Mil-Air Thread at the top of the forum where it should have been in the 1st place...before posting please check the stickied threads to see if your post belongs there...thanks!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

i thought it was actually a toss up...a hybrid posting...

yes, obviously USCG is a branch of the military and CG 1711 is therefore a mil-air...BUT the nature of the post was also MARITIME...operating on marine freqs and being a marine broadcast...and many marine interested posters might not look in the mil air thread, mil air being a rather unique and niche area of the hobby....so i thought it a toss up.....no problem, but i don't think it so one dimensional as you seem to make it...

just thinking out loud, but would you put all the sea air rescue traffic under mil air and not maritime... maritime has it's own forum too ???

as ka3jjz wisely pointed out with the md mil air thread, stuff can get buried very quickly....and if the intended interest of the post is multiple, then sometimes to pigeon hole it into mil air could be self defeating....

cheers and thanks for the great (underappreciated) job you moderators do !

Barefootdipole

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Which is why I encourage folks to use the wiki to keep frequency lists - one advantage being that not just one person is handling the load, so to speak - several can jump in and fix things.

As to USCG - of course, here in Maryland things are a bit different, as they fly low-level intercepts when someone (usually a Cessna) violates the restricted air space. The helos have been heard on both the maritime band, and using 139.7 for coordination with Huntress (Norad).

I'd suggest letting the nature of the intercept dictate whether it's milair related or not. That is, again, how it's done in the Maryland milair forum.

73 Mike

ka3jjz -
i agree totally, that the nature of the intercept should be the determining factor....especially when it may fit into multiple threads/catagories...

Barefootdipole

PS: i think the md mil air sticky is the gold standard on this website.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
NC Mil-Air Log March 27, 2008

358.800 NAVY DARE BOMBING RANGE
135.875 GIANTKILLER
119.375 CHERRY POINT DEPARTURE
279.650 GIANTKILLER
300.125 NEEDY
290.900 TANGO-21
301.025 TANGO-21
326.200 POPE GROUND CONTROL IN COMMS. WITH TANGO-21
300.125 NEEDY

RMPDCOP said:
358.800 NAVY DARE BOMBING RANGE
135.875 GIANTKILLER
119.375 CHERRY POINT DEPARTURE
279.650 GIANTKILLER
300.125 NEEDY
290.900 TANGO-21
301.025 TANGO-21
326.200 POPE GROUND CONTROL IN COMMS. WITH TANGO-21
300.125 NEEDY

great list of freqs, thanks !

any chance the ' 119.375 cherry point dep ' is a typo combining the cherry point A/D 119.35 and 119.75 freqs together ???

thanks, again !
Barefootdipole

Status
Not open for further replies.