NC Radio Systems Upgrade Progress Reports for Multiple Counties

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
PSAP Grant Program Progress Report for...
Columbus County 911
Macon County 911
Currituck County 911
Onslow County 911
Surry County 911
Edgecombe County 911

Columbus County
PSAP Renovation Project for Columbus County
Total Cost of Project:$5,526,329.00
Total Grant Award for Project:$4,085,560.00
Project Accomplishments and Milestones to Date: Architect and project
management firm are onboard, and we are finalizing the design. Final reviews of the drawings and specifications will be completed in early February, movingtowards bidding shortly thereafter. Initial discussions with technology partners havebeen completed to make sure the drawings and technology needs are in-sync.

Macon County Communications
VIPER Radio Console Upgrade
Total Cost of Project: $565,003.62
Total Grant Award for Project: $333,067.40
Project Accomplishments and Milestones to Date: Everything has been completed and we are in the middle of installation and training this week and have a go live date of 02/19/2024 scheduled. Motorola hascreated some challenges on the installation end. They seemed to have forgottenour project and at the eleventh hour wanted to push our installation back a month. We negotiated and the go live date was only pushed a week….. so far.

Currituck County Communications
Currituck County Radio System Upgrade
Total Cost of Project: $2,464,978.00
Total Grant Award for Project: $1,964,978.00
Project Accomplishments and Milestones to Date: System equipment is starting to ship, and Motorola has staging underway. Anticipated system set up in test environment by mid-March. Equipment is estimated to start arriving in Currituck County in mid-April and the installation will begin. The renewal date for the 800 MHz frequencies were inadvertently missed resulting in the loss of those licenses. The MCA rep is working diligently with the FCC to establish new frequencies. The applications have been submitted. We do not have a date yet for approval of thosenew frequencies, however, (if need be) the system will be able to go “live” with 5 of the 6 channels.

Onslow County
Radio System End of Life Replacement Project (G2023B-06)
Total Cost of Project:$1,904,752.52
Total Grant Award for Project:$1,904,752.52
Project Accomplishments and Milestones to Date: Console Project: All equipment has been shipped, received and inventoried. The installation has been scheduled for the week of March 4th. Microwave Upgrade Project: The Physical Path Survey was completed on February 13, 2024. There was a hold up with getting this completed due to gaining access to two paths aboard base.

Surry County 911 Communications
Surry County Radio Replacement Project
Total Cost of Project:$1,447,938.47
Total Grant Award for Project:$896,250.94
Project Accomplishments and Milestones to Date: Every other week project calls with Motorola. All equipment, except for the GTR8000 VHF radios have been received by Motorola and are being stored in the MCA warehouse in Charlotte. We have begun working on our radio template design for users. A contract with Surry Communications has been signed for the Metro E Connection to the Viper Core in Salisbury. The construction of our 150-foot tower at our new 911 center. Surry County has issued a purchase order to our vendor to construct this tower. We are still waiting for this to take place. The company is projecting construction to be completed in early May 2024.

Next NC 911 Board Meeting – Friday, March 22, 2024, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM, Raleigh, NC

richardbritt

Database Admin
Are there additional VIPER sites or are they installing equipment for the system wide VIPER upgrade that's supposed to happen next year? Thank you for the information. Regards, Richard

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Are there additional VIPER sites or are they installing equipment for the system wide VIPER upgrade that's supposed to happen next year? Thank you for the information. Regards, Richard

I have no info on that, hopefully if there is someone who does they will share it. I've wondered if Phase 2 upgrades are a software upgrade or physical equipment upgrade, and, if software, can they do it OTA?

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
This is 911 centers that have received federal funding to upgrades to equipments and centers.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I don’t understand about Currituck because they are already digital on the conventional channels and are encrypted
I was gonna ask the same. It sounds like if they don’t get the existing frequencies on their new FCC license they’ll be getting new ones. Could very well be a Phase 2 upgrade for the VIPER sites in Currituck

manda1993

My name is Amanda
I was gonna ask the same. It sounds like if they don’t get the existing frequencies on their new FCC license they’ll be getting new ones. Could very well be a Phase 2 upgrade for the VIPER sites in Currituck
True I have not been down in years so I didn’t know if something has changed