NC Traffic Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Are the NC traffic cameras wireless? On the poles I see an antenna. Is it possible to "scan" those frequencies with a video capable receiver? The images on the web are delayed and not "real time".

n5ims

Around the Dallas TX area, the cameras are on a pole that has what may look like an antenna at the top of the tower, but this is actually a lightning rod used to protect the cameras and associated electronics. The video generally is sent over fiber optic links or digital microwave links that aren't monitorable.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Are the NC traffic cameras wireless? On the poles I see an antenna. Is it possible to "scan" those frequencies with a video capable receiver? The images on the web are delayed and not "real time".

Some sites are wireless to a point...that is the camera interacts with a junction box nearby. From what I understand the signal is encrypted so the only way you can get a live feed is to make a financial deal with the DOT where they let you have a hardline wired connection. We had one at Metronetworks for awhile while I was Producer there, Curtis Media has one now, WRAL has a hardline connection. It ain't cheap. :)
If you could tap in wirelessly don't ya think the other media organizations would have done that instead of paying $$ to the DOT for the dedicated wired connection? :D
Marshall KE4ZNR

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
NC Traffic Cams

Thanks for the info. I had no idea the feed was a revenue generating source for the DMV. Interesting.. I'm not sure I think that is fair or reasonable.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I had no idea the feed was a revenue generating source for the DMV. Interesting.. I'm not sure I think that is fair or reasonable.

While I am somewhat inclined to agree it has been going on for years now :)

If you want the live feed you have to play by their rules and pay the $$chedda$$

Oh and even if you have the live feed you are still limited. There are only 2 organizations that can move the cameras and control what is "in frame": the DOT IMAP and the NCSHP. If you are a live feed recipient you can call up the DOT and politely ask them to pan the camera around. It may happen or it may not. More times than not they will help out with camera angles and such to keep people happy.
Marshall KE4ZNR

jthorpe

Recovering the cost of operating them isn't fair or reasonable? :confused:

WA4MJF

Money probably going to the Division of Highways, not Division of Motor Vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.