NC VIPER Listings

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrxman

I have a Uniden Home Patrol, I downloaded all the NC VIPER tower frequencies and stations in my area (South Durham) that I think the scanner will pick up . In general, VIPER activity in my area has been very weak, at best. But I did notice some messages coming through. Unfortunately my HP-1 only shows the TGID number (which I assume stands for Trunk Group ID). Instead of having to run through the hundreds of ID numbers attached to VIPER, is there some way on RR to covert the listings to an Excel file, or does RR have any tools that I am unaware of that will organize listings by TGID #'s so I can search by TGID #'s. This would save me, and many others I suppose, a great deal of time finding out exactly who I am listening to on VIPER when an unknown TGID number comes up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
As a person that works in public safety radio in the Durham area:
To give you some background info:
1) All city and county Public Safety radio activity occurs on the
City of Durham Radio System. In the next month or so the Durham radio
system will be undergoing an upgrade to P25 but the listed information is
accurate at this time.
2) There are 2 VIPER Towers in the Durham Area: Cole Mill Rd and Camden Ave.
Both are scheduled to be upgraded to P25 in the next week or so which means
current Talkgroup IDs will be changing. Keep an eye on the Talkgroups listed for
the VIPER P25 System as we continue to update it to reflect the system upgrade status.
Going through all of the trouble of labeling talkgroups that will soon change might be waste of time.
3) If you have the latest HP-1 Database and select the legacy VIPER radio system and one of the 2 VIPER tower sites the existing Talkgroups should be labeled.
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

nyrxman

Thank You

Thank you Marshall, this is excellent information. I actually did download those two towers (I may have downloaded another one as well as I thought perhaps because I live in the South Durham area it might be reachable. After I posted that message, I realized that I had an option to download both Viper P25 and VIPER legacy continuously (as one long listing each) which now allows me quick access to TGID's. That will work for now until TGIDs change!

I'm a licensed pharmacist and retired EMT from New Jersey who recently moved down to Durham and have been hooked on scanning for many years. During my youth I operated a HAM radio under the call K2LQO. That was about 50 years ago! Unfortunately I haven't touched a ham radio in that many years. I guess it was too expensive a hobby back then and I just didn't have the time to devote to it. Now that I am nearing retirement, I'm giving it serious thought again.

Anyway, thanks for the help, it is VERY appreciated. As Durham evolves and new information is published I wish you would try to keep in touch and let me know. I'll definitely be checking RR for any updates as well. Interestingly, I knew something was going on because nothing was happening on VIPER in this area until very recently. One TGID I get quite clearly is Duke PD1 at TG# 16500. I suspect they've just recently switched over.

Looking forward to keeping in touch,

Harold

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thank you Marshall, this is excellent information. I actually did download those two towers (I may have downloaded another one as well as I thought perhaps because I live in the South Durham area it might be reachable. After I posted that message, I realized that I had an option to download both Viper P25 and VIPER legacy continuously (as one long listing each) which now allows me quick access to TGID's. That will work for now until TGIDs change!

I'm a licensed pharmacist and retired EMT from New Jersey who recently moved down to Durham and have been hooked on scanning for many years. During my youth I operated a HAM radio under the call K2LQO. That was about 50 years ago! Unfortunately I haven't touched a ham radio in that many years. I guess it was too expensive a hobby back then and I just didn't have the time to devote to it. Now that I am nearing retirement, I'm giving it serious thought again.

Anyway, thanks for the help, it is VERY appreciated. As Durham evolves and new information is published I wish you would try to keep in touch and let me know. I'll definitely be checking RR for any updates as well. Interestingly, I knew something was going on because nothing was happening on VIPER in this area until very recently. One TGID I get quite clearly is Duke PD1 at TG# 16500. I suspect they've just recently switched over.

Looking forward to keeping in touch,

Harold

Harold,
Good to have you join us here at RR.com.
The above bolded part is why you were hearing very little traffic: In the Durham area the P25 VIPER system is really only used by Duke University. If you plug in the legacy 3600 VIPER system with the 2 Durham Sites (Camden Ave and Cole Mill Rd) you will hear a lot more radio traffic from NCSHP, Orange County Public Safety, local hospitals and more.
If you load up the City of Durham Radio System you will hear Durham Public Safety agencies (Durham City PD, Durham County Sheriff, Durham FD/EMS, etc).
Marshall KE4ZNR

billkoerner

Premium Subscriber
I am a RR member and have lost all Viper in Burke County I have a Pro106 from Radio Shack can anyone tell me what to do to get Viper back. I am very green at this I have read all the posts and internet talk but don't know how to anything. K4RIT lives in my area but I can not reach him

Status
Not open for further replies.