NCHP along I-77

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

I am looking to hear HP as I travel thru the state heading up north. I will enter NC from SC along 77, and will ride 77 thru Char/Meck all the way up to the Virginia state line.

What troops are using VIPER, and is there even good coverage along my route of VIPER to monitor, or is everything still going to be on conventional?

What towers would be best for my route?

I appreciate any and all help for the locals.

SCPD

QRT
Here is the Troop layout and here is the list of VIPER sites all of the ones you would be interested in are in Zone 2. Yadkin County does not have a site so they may still be on low band.

Last edited:

IredellMon

I am looking to hear HP as I travel thru the state heading up north. I will enter NC from SC along 77, and will ride 77 thru Char/Meck all the way up to the Virginia state line.

What troops are using VIPER, and is there even good coverage along my route of VIPER to monitor, or is everything still going to be on conventional?

What towers would be best for my route?

I appreciate any and all help for the locals.

I see you posted the same question in the VA section also.. I wonder if you could give use a description of your vehicle and the dates and times you will be on 77 and 81. You're going to a lot of trouble for monitoring as a hobby. Not suggesting anything, just saying.
Besides.. even if there is no state law about police scanners in vehicles, there are about 1000 local jurisdictions along 77 and 81 in NC and VA.. and each might have a law that will get you in trouble. Just sayin.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I see you posted the same question in the VA section also.. I wonder if you could give use a description of your vehicle and the dates and times you will be on 77 and 81. You're going to a lot of trouble for monitoring as a hobby. Not suggesting anything, just saying.
Besides.. even if there is no state law about police scanners in vehicles, there are about 1000 local jurisdictions along 77 and 81 in NC and VA.. and each might have a law that will get you in trouble. Just sayin.

Really? The guy was just asking a simple question. He wants to listen while he drives....like so many of us do. Whats the problem?

IredellMon

Really? The guy was just asking a simple question. He wants to listen while he drives....like so many of us do. Whats the problem?

no problem. Unless there is a local law forbidding it and he gets caught (happened to me). Or is is doing more then just listening for pleasure. I thought thats what I said the first time.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Here is the Troop layout and here is the list of VIPER sites all of the ones you would be interested in are in Zone 2. Yadkin County does not have a site so they may still be on low band.

Actually, Yadkin does have a VIPER site online now. It is in Hamptonville and sits at the I-77 rest area just south of US 421. That said, I also would suggest you load up VHF Low Band in Iredell, Yadkin, and Surry if you're trying not to miss any traffic. Mecklenburg County troopers may still be using the Charlotte/Mecklenburg TRS talkgroups.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
Okay, I am going to jump in here on this one. First the member was just asking simple questions, like so many of us do when we travel out of state. Nothing in his orginal post suggested otherwise. Thanks to the members that helped him.

Second we will not tolerate anything that is accusatory. Please lets just try to help one another. Thanks !!!!

Marshall if you need to step in please feel free to.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ok folks. Let's get this thread back on topic.
I am going to ask that you only reply if you
Have positive constructive radio/talkgroup info to share.
The original poster did not ask about radio/scanner laws.
Please keep it on track or it will get locked.
Thanks
Marshall KE4ZNR

kg4pbd

From the SC state line up through Mecklenburg county you can monitor the SHP talkgroup on the Char/Meck trunked system (use the 2352 talkgroup id). Also keep 42.38 (base) and 42.58 (mobile), as it is still in use. Often you'll hear base only on the trunked system as the mobiles are still talking back on the low-band frequency.

In Mecklenburg you can also monitor the VIPER Pineville and Heath sites. Sometimes Troop H shows up on viper but not always. You will hear IMAP (motorist assistance patrols) on VIPER on talkgroups 14160, 14208, and 14256.

vinzep491

no problem. Unless there is a local law forbidding it and he gets caught (happened to me). Or is is doing more then just listening for pleasure. I thought thats what I said the first time.

Hey. First I want to thank almost everyone for the good help.

Let me just say that I am like mostly everyone on this site that likes to listen as he/she drives, and I figured this would be the ONE place where people would understand that. Not everyone with a scanner is up to no good.. in fact, only less than one percent are. I'm simply a radio nerd... that is all. How is finding out the freq's for the area I am traveling "Going thru too much trouble to be monitoring for a hobby"? Thats what you're suppost to do here! Keep the conspiracy theory to yourself =) ...

Thanks again for the help everyone, and defending me.

twhitson

I don't even speed; can't in my Honda Element LOL but my primary interest on a long trip is finding out about accidents/construction issues between myself and my destination. If I'm gonna be driving more than a couple hours, I usually post for local advice as well. The only time I've ever been questioned by law enforcement about my radios was cleared up by presenting my FCC Amateur Radio license.

Status
Not open for further replies.