NCHP Base freq. questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesky7367

Good afternoon all,

I am in the process of attempting to program a RS Pro-95 for the specific task of monitoring NC Highway patrol only. The problem that i am running into is being able to find the correct base freq. to use. i have compiled all of the alpha tags and DEC ID's already but am unsure as to which freq. i need to program. I initially wanted to entire the whole state of NC, due to the fact that i travel the majority of the time. I found all of the information listed on the low band freq in the database already but believe that i am missing something.

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can provide. I am assuming that this is probably a basic question.

bluesky7367

OK, i have to ask then, does anyone have any WIN95 templates for NC State Highway Patrol that i could use to upload to the scanner?

trumpetman

Database Admin
Low band should be a breeze, just plug in the 19 conventional channels & label them accordingly. Some counties (all counties in the future) are utilizing the SHP radio system known as VIPER. It is a statewide trunked network, so you can program in sites in, and the TG IDs, (which I assume is what you're talking about with the DEC IDs?) and be able to hear traffic from there. If you look on the NC Database page and click on the VIPER link at the bottom, find some sites that are around you and plug in the blue & red frequencies for each site you want to monitor. You can find the talkgroup (TG) IDs below for SHP. Does that help any?

bluesky7367

I programmed the channels for the surrounding counties and all of the TG ids for my area and the scanner will only scan and hang up on freq 868.78750. I am starting to wonder if this scanner is even capable of following the VIPER system. I have a 2096 that i have programmed and it is functioning as designed.I think my next step would be to either get a file to load up or double check my settings for the type of system in Win95.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I programmed the channels for the surrounding counties and all of the TG ids for my area and the scanner will only scan and hang up on freq 868.78750. I am starting to wonder if this scanner is even capable of following the VIPER system. I have a 2096 that i have programmed and it is functioning as designed.I think my next step would be to either get a file to load up or double check my settings for the type of system in Win95.

Win 95 (and a Pro 95) will work for the analog activity on VIPER until rebanding occurs later this year. Make sure the format of the channel 868.7875 is MOTO and NOT FM. Worse case scenario I have a Win 95 file somewhere that should help. Let me look in my files and see what I can come up with.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I can't find my old Win95 file but make sure the "Rx Mode" column is set to MOT and NOT FM for each of the Control Channels. Then make sure the "TYPE" Box near the top of the screen is set to MOT as well. Enter all analog NCSHP talkgroups then check the "Closed" box for the bank. If you don't run the scanner in closed mode you will hear ALL talkgroup activity including the annoying unmodulated digital talkgroup noise.
Marshall KE4ZNR

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Even more important, BlueSky, is that the state agencies - including NCHP - will be moving to digital talkgroups, tentatively in the next 3 months. The Pro 95 is not capable of decoding digital talkgroups, although your 2096 is.

Here is the specific comment from a very reliable RR subscriber:

I typically dont comment on items on the VIPER discussion board unless it is to clarify a point or correct some misinformation, however when it comes to people making an investment in an item being purchased I would like for all of you to at least understand the direction that things are going in so that you are not wasting your hard earned dollars!

Over the course of the next 3 months, virtually all of the state analog talk groups will be moving to digital. This includes SHP, ALE, BPS, SCP.

By the end of 2010, all of the analog mutual aid talk groups at the county level will have been migrated to digital.

The transition to full P25 digital compliance (9600 baud control channels) has begun. The first of the three P25 Zone Controllers (7.X) is operational in Raleigh and additional controllers will be installed in the east and west in early 2010. With this said, I would STRONGLY advise against buying a new scanner that WONT decode 9600 baud data.

Happy Monitoring!

M

The only good news I can offer is that the NCHP is also simulcasting some dispatches on 154.680 MHz. My troop - Troop H - is now actively using the frequency across all districts.

bluesky7367

10-4. well in that case i should probably stop here and start planning for a newer device to handle my needs. I will still play around with this tonight. I still have my 2096 that i can use.

Thanks for all of the help on this issue.

bluesky7367

KE4ZNR,
I found that my rx mode was on FM and type was set to MOT. I made changes and now i am getting a lot of action, I just need to update my tg list when able. That was the problem, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.