NCHP Lincoln County

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I have all the NCHP Troops programmed into my 536 with Anderson Mountain as my site, but I never hear any cars in the Lincoln area. Only troop I pick up is Troop H Meck county. Any ideas?

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Do you mind emailing me a copy of your code plug you got programed in your scanner and let me look at it

WeBeCinYa

Not sure how to do that. I just added another site, Lincolnton, to see if I could pick up anything additional, nothing...only Meck and Gaston under troop H are picking up.

Attachments

• B1D6FD41-6E95-4FE2-97DA-9E9A3398B739.jpeg
    B1D6FD41-6E95-4FE2-97DA-9E9A3398B739.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 16

WeBeCinYa

Well disregard, just heard call for 10-50 from Troop F Dist 5 Catawba Lincolnton. Must have just been a slow time earlier.

drayd48

You have to make sure you are on a site that NCSHP F5 radio is actually affiliated to. If there is not a radio on that site, then traffic won't be carried over that site.

WeBeCinYa

You have to make sure you are on a site that NCSHP F5 radio is actually affiliated to. If there is not a radio on that site, then traffic won't be carried over that site.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. How would I figure out what sites carry each NCHP Districts? Seems odd that Anderson Mountain wouldn't carry F5 being its super close.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, I had no idea. How would I figure out what sites carry each NCHP Districts? Seems odd that Anderson Mountain wouldn't carry F5 being its super close.

All sites are capable of carrying all NCSHP districts, but, as @drayd48 mentioned, if there isn't a unit near the tower/site it will NOT be heard on the tower. The opposite is true too, sometimes you will hear units on a tower you don't expect. Being in Raleigh, near the NCSHP training center where there are cars from districts across the state, I often hear traffic from all across the state (at least for a short while until the unit moves out of range of the NCSHP Training center tower).

WeBeCinYa

All sites are capable of carrying all NCSHP districts, but, as @drayd48 mentioned, if there isn't a unit near the tower/site it will NOT be heard on the tower. The opposite is true too, sometimes you will hear units on a tower you don't expect. Being in Raleigh, near the NCSHP training center where there are cars from districts across the state, I often hear traffic from all across the state (at least for a short while until the unit moves out of range of the NCSHP Training center tower).

Got it. So how does that work with Dispatch then? Shouldn't dispatch always be heard on a tower since they aren't moving?

jthorpe

Got it. So how does that work with Dispatch then? Shouldn't dispatch always be heard on a tower since they aren't moving?

The comm center console doesn't make the decision on what towers to transmit on. The zone controller does. If the zone controller sees a radio affiliated with the tower you're monitoring on a particular talkgroup, it'll repeat that traffic. If it doesn't see an affiliated radio, it will not use that tower and will not repeat that traffic.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Ok I think I follow you now. So the reason I hear Troop H when I only had Anderson Mountain site, was because that tower was closest to the patrol car?

Not necessarily "THE" patrol car, but a patrol car that affiliated (connected) to that tower. But basically, yes. For example I just heard SHP unit from G-2, that doesn't mean they were here in Raleigh (they were not) but another G-2 car was and affiliated to the NCSHP Training Center tower which now allows me to hear the traffic from G-2.

WeBeCinYa

I still have questions on this. So unless I have every or most of the Charlotte area sites programmed, I may never hear all traffic for Lincoln county, right? What I still can't figure out is how FEW communications I am hearing from Troop F District 5.

Here is what I have programmed on my 536:

All NCSHP Troops
Anderson Mountain, Lincolnton, & Stanley site.

All sites have great signal strength in my area of Denver. Unless the radio traffic is super light here, I figured I would be picking up more traffic in Lincoln county, especially when I see officers all up and down Highway 16.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Are you basing the amount of traffic from your home area (Lincoln Co) solely on the amount of traffic heard on the Troop F Dist 5 talkgroup 52193? Do you hear traffic on other Troop 5 talkgroups off of the Anderson Mtn site?

Keep in mind that NC SHP makes use of talkgroup patches, or multi-selects. Patches combine the traffic of two or more talkgroups into a single channel. The reason for this is to allow a single dispatcher to monitor and handle multiple channels as if it was a single channel. The subscribers (ie troopers in the patrol cars) don't necessarily know this is taking place because their radio is tuned to their typical channel, however they will hear traffic from troopers in other districts on "their" channel.

In this case, from a scanner persepctive, the scanner shows the traffic coming from the "super group" which is the lead talkgroup used when the patch is established at the dispatcher console. That "super group" may be a different group each time the patch is torn down and re-established. But, if you have all Troop F talkgroups programmed and not locked out, the Dist 5 traffic may be carried on your scanner on a different Dist 5 talkgroup.

From your scanner, you may not be able to tell whether a patch is established and what the super group is. I don't use Uniden scanners, but on my Whistler/GRE scanners, if the traffic for my "home" SCHP talkgroup is being patched with another talkgroup (or more) and my home talkgroup is not the supergroup, I'll see "patch" or "ptch" in the display instead of Group or tgrp. And I'll note that I hear radio traffic from surrounding troops that I don't hear when a patch is not active.

Try locking out all other Troop 5 dispatch talkgroups and see if you start to hear more traffic on the Dist 5 group. Read up on how your Uniden scanner handles patches, and see if it will indicate the presence of a patch in some way. And perhaps other local listeners and those familiar with Uniden scanners can offer more details about how patches are typically used by NC SHP.

This may not be your issue at all, it could be something different. But it's worth exploring and may answer your question.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Again if you program the SHP talkgroup on the UASI system for Char/Meck. The only thing you will hear is the dispatch.

You have to program strictly all Viper to hear both sides of the conversation between dispatch and cars.

Makes no sense to have a one patch.

David

WeBeCinYa

Again if you program the SHP talkgroup on the UASI system for Char/Meck. The only thing you will hear is the dispatch.

You have to program strictly all Viper to hear both sides of the conversation between dispatch and cars.

Makes no sense to have a one patch.

David

I didn't realize there was a talk group for SHP on UASI that carried the dispatch. Is that only for Meck or all SHP dispatch?

WeBeCinYa

After messing with this I think I understand it more but not totally. I get the patrol cars have to be in the area of my close by tower Anderson Mountain. And I would figure there would always be a patrol car in proximity to pick up any Troop F District 5 traffic. I pick up Dispatch on Newton and also patrol, so I assume I will just monitor Troop F for any "local" SHP traffic in my area of Lincolnton.
Either way I think I am trying to perfectly hear what is not a perfectly hearable in all instances system, so I will take what I can get I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.