NCPD 3+6 Repeater Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezking

Hi all,

I was listening to 478.1925 this morning and it sounded like something was up with the repeater... It seemed to be randomly transmitting what sounded like a courtesy tone, even if somebody was transmitting. Anybody else hearing this?

Thanks

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I was listening to 478.1925 this morning and it sounded like something was up with the repeater... It seemed to be randomly transmitting what sounded like a courtesy tone, even if somebody was transmitting. Anybody else hearing this?

Thanks

Not familiar with that agency...but some agencies have their repeaters send a fixed-interval (not random) tone that is sent when the commercial power at the repeater site is out.

I think in some jurisdications out west they have something they call the "beeper" that does something similar to indicate the channel has radio silence in effect.

bezking

Not familiar with that agency...but some agencies have their repeaters send a fixed-interval (not random) tone that is sent when the commercial power at the repeater site is out.

I think in some jurisdications out west they have something they call the "beeper" that does something similar to indicate the channel has radio silence in effect.

Could be the first one, but I've never heard it before, and can't be the second one because people just kept talking. Interesting.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
LIBNS is located 12.5khz to the south of NCPD 3/6's frequency.
It is them you are hearing...

If I use a radio with out PL tones, LIBNS will actually mute out NCPD 3/6 from my radio, and I will hear them instead.

bezking

LIBNS is located 12.5khz to the south of NCPD 3/6's frequency.
It is them you are hearing...

If I use a radio with out PL tones, LIBNS will actually mute out NCPD 3/6 from my radio, and I will hear them instead.

Wow... Does this interfere with the PD comms? (on their side, not ours)
Thats interesting because I have never heard any knid of interference on 3+6... Hmmm.

Last edited:

FireMarshalRob

Feed Provider
Ok, So the proper answer to your question is diagnostic tones. You are either listening to an MSF5000 or Quantar repeater that is transmitting some sort of a trouble code. This will occur when someone is talking or not talking, and usually indicates a problem with an antenna line (High SWR), reduced power condition, loss of ac, pa failure etc.

P.S. NCPD fleet of radios is so old, beat up and off channel, that half of the mobiles can be heard 3khz up or down from their operating freq.

Last edited:

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Maybe there is no money for maintaince. That money is going to pay-off thoes water commissioners for the use of their towers for the future 500Mhz system!

bezking

Ah. I see. Thanks Rob - In fact I accidentally plugged in the incorrect frequency into the radio and heard half of the NCPD channel - it was only some of the units, not all...

scosgt

The problem with the system is that they have to run absurd power to enable the system to work in most areas of the actual coverage area. Most of my radios pick up the 4th and 5th on the 3&6 freq, as well as on aviation. This is because the repeater in Elmont is so strong. The 4th precinct is notorious for dead spots in the Five Towns.
So in many areas you may be hearing splash from 477.2125
You will not hear the mobiles on their transmit freq. That is low power. You are hearing the repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.