NCPRN Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to make a trip to Wilmington this summer with the family for some R&R (it's been 4 years since we were down there).

This is the first time I've been a licensed ham, and so I'm doing my research. I found the NCPRN network page, but it's missing some important information.
1) Is my RadioID DMR number to be used for this network, or do I need to apply for a different ID?
2) Are these pretty high profile systems? Assuming approximately 20 mile coverage, it looks like I will have coverage from Rocky Gap, VA to Winston-Salem. Coverage will pickup around Burlington, NC and last till about Edmonson, NC, then nothing until Wilmington. Is this correct?

Thanks, just trying to do my legwork now while I'm messing with codeplugs.

Flyham

Your normal DMR ID will work just fine.

There maybe some repeaters missing in Radio Reference, however I-40 has almost seamless coverage from Western NC to Wilmington.
Looking at Rocky Gap and I-77. I would at a minimum consider Wytheville and Fancy Gap Repeaters while in VA. Then transition to Saurtown, Greensboro/Brown Summit, Graham, Hillsboro, Cary, Nashville, Goldsboro, & Wilmington.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Yea, I have been mapping them in google, and averaging range of 20 miles to get an idea of what the approximate number of sites to program. My plan was:
Wytheville
Fancy Gap
King ( Sauratown )
It appears there is a gap at Greensboro
Hillsboro
Cary
Goldsboro (is a stretch)
Jacksonville (stretch)
Wilmington

I guess, I'm thinking its pretty hilly, and that would cause issues with range.

I think working through my response and your answer, I'm satisfied with the information collected.

Thanks,

Flyham

I maybe wrong in my assumptions but I think the ranges are approximate and based on scanner GPS Ranging (emphasis I think...never have used/operated a GPS enabled scanner.)
Anyway the GAP isn't what it appears to be. Look for a repeater labeled Brown Summit. It sets in the Brown Summit Community just off US29 at the North-East Edge of Greensboro City Limits. Standard PRN Codeplug with CC 1 (freq INFO below). It will cover I40 from the east side Winston Salem to almost the 40/85 split near Hillsboro (just west of Raleigh). Graham will be a good switch over while on 40/85 around MM 140. Switch to Hillsboro around the aforementioned split.
Cary will take you across Raleigh proper and along 40 at least to where it makes the turn SE towards Wilmington. From there go to Goldsboro (at least from the 40/95 area towards the 369mm. From that point switch over to Wilmington (it sets on a 1500ft platform on a TV Broadcast tower, 5 miles west of Wilmington).

I wouldn't really put Jacksonsville in consideration unless you happen to travel that way.
Wilmington is good for a 45-50 mile radius.

Downlink:444.22500
Uplink:449.22500a
Offset:+5.0 MHzb

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I maybe wrong in my assumptions but I think the ranges are approximate and based on scanner GPS Ranging (emphasis I think...never have used/operated a GPS enabled scanner.)
Anyway the GAP isn't what it appears to be. Look for a repeater labeled Brown Summit. It sets in the Brown Summit Community just off US29 at the North-East Edge of Greensboro City Limits. Standard PRN Codeplug with CC 1 (freq INFO below). It will cover I40 from the east side Winston Salem to almost the 40/85 split near Hillsboro (just west of Raleigh). Graham will be a good switch over while on 40/85 around MM 140. Switch to Hillsboro around the aforementioned split.
Cary will take you across Raleigh proper and along 40 at least to where it makes the turn SE towards Wilmington. From there go to Goldsboro (at least from the 40/95 area towards the 369mm. From that point switch over to Wilmington (it sets on a 1500ft platform on a TV Broadcast tower, 5 miles west of Wilmington).

I wouldn't really put Jacksonsville in consideration unless you happen to travel that way.
Wilmington is good for a 45-50 mile radius.

Downlink:444.22500
Uplink:449.22500a
Offset:+5.0 MHzb

Thanks, I missed the ones on RR Database, I was assuming the list on their site was current/complete.

Last question, is disconnect 4000 like TGIF & Brandmeister?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I own the Jacksonville repeater and it only gets down to about Holly Ridge, but nothing south of that. The transmit antenna is at 250 feet and is located in Hubert, near Swansboro. The receive antenna is at 290 feet on the same tower. It does good for Onslow County, but Wilmington is a no go.

Flyham

Thanks, I missed the ones on RR Database, I was assuming the list on their site was current/complete.

Last question, is disconnect 4000 like TGIF & Brandmeister?

No.
On the NCPRN network TG 27000, on Slot 1, is the disconnect / clear slot command.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
No.
On the NCPRN network TG 27000, on Slot 1, is the disconnect / clear slot command.
I never would have guessed that. Is it group call or private call?

Off topic question, based on that drive, is it worth monitoring anything other than VIPER, for traffic information/PD

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
If you're using a Motorola XPR with roaming capabilities you can enter the above sites on your roam list for the PRN talkgroup and never have to turn your channel knob. If programmed correctly your radio will automatically switch sites based on your selected RSSI values.

Not sure what radio you're using but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Flyham

If you're using a Motorola XPR with roaming capabilities you can enter the above sites on your roam list for the PRN talkgroup and never have to turn your channel knob. If programmed correctly your radio will automatically switch sites based on your selected RSSI values.

And it works very well!
(XPR4550, 5550, 6550 user here)

Flyham

I never would have guessed that. Is it group call or private call?

Off topic question, based on that drive, is it worth monitoring anything other than VIPER, for traffic information/PD

Your planning 40 all the way, correct?
If so then VIPER for all things NCSHP for certain.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber

And it works very well!
(XPR4550, 5550, 6550 user here)
Good to know, but I don’t have any moto gear. It’s always ben on the wishlist though.

Your planning 40 all the way, correct?
If so then VIPER for all things NCSHP for certain.
77 and 40. Wilmington will get its own favorite group for the week around town.

kn4ptu

I have noticed that it looks like the PRN network dropped the TAC 310, TAC 1 and the DMRX BM talk
groups from the standard repeater package. Is that correct?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that it looks like the PRN network dropped the TAC 310, TAC 1 and the DMRX BM talk
groups from the standard repeater package. Is that correct?
That's what it shows on their website for each repeater.

Flyham

Yes, that is correct.
Standard NCPRN Line up is
Local - the repeaters RF Footprint, sometimes linked to other repeaters for an enhanced Local
PRN - System Wide
Chat 1 - Point to Point, Point to mult point 1
Chat 2 - Point to Point, Point to mult point 2

kn4ptu

Thanks! I guess I was confirming the obvious.

I understand the website owner's desire to have the lowest overhead possible, but having a mailing list or even a News page with a RSS feed to keep users updated would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.