NCSHP digital alert tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4pbd

I heard a broadcast last evening on one of the low-band base freqs, it was an bolo alert. What I had never heard before was a digital tone like the one you hear on the WX freq's for weather alerts. It preceded the tx and also was in a break in the middle of the broadcast.

Is this new and does anyone know what it does?

dchrismon

They do that when they are giving out daily stolen vehicles, wanted persons, etc. It could have been someone hit a different alert tone.

kg4pbd

It wasn't the typical tone I'm used to hearing. This was sometype of digital burst, in fact it sounded like the one you hear on the wx freqs.

I haven't heard it since.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Just a thought ... some of the handhelds used by NCHP may have a two-tone decode option.

Presumably, the comm center might transmit a single long tone on all the troop dispatch channels to trigger off-duty troopers' radios, allowing the troopers to hear special messages ... without having to listen to all communications on their channel.

Jeff Multer

jaymatt1978

My department putrs out three long tones over the police frequency to alert the officers of an incoming emergency call, be it medical, fire or something else. It lets the officers know to stop transmitting. It's not considered a "tone-out " because it doesn't activate pagers. I also doubt it was "digital".

kg4pbd

I'll probably never hear this again, and if I do I probably won't have audio logging on!

Definitely not an alert tone or even a sequential tone-out. It was a digital burst. Just like you hear on the tv or wx radio when they do their test.

Or was it all a dream......

KIB-894

Ref Alert Tone Inquiry

What You Actually Heard Was From A Fairly New Piece Of Equipment
Added To The Comm Center. It Is A Computer Interfaced With The Eas
System For Weather And Other Alerts For Broadcast. That Computer
Has An External Speaker And Is Positioned At A Supervisor's Work Area
And Emits The Same Tone That You Would Hear On Eas Alerts For Severe
Weather, Etc. So What You Heard Was Simply The Eas Tones From That
Computer That Would Have Been Audible As A Telecommunicator Within
Close Proximity To It Gave Out Some Traffic Over Regular Hp Channel.
Jtman Kib-894

Status
Not open for further replies.