NCSHP frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
Probably. 99% of their traffic along with most state and increasingly more local traffic is on Viper. I never see cars with long whips anymore. Heck, I hardly see NCSHP anymore on the highway anymore.

I have my 325 programmed for Viper sites along major interstates. You don’t need a lot sites, especially further East you get as towers have awesome line of sight.

In wake county, my scanners don’t pick up much public safety analog anymore. I mostly here one sided aircraft reports, locution stuff, chathem co, and rag chews. 35 years ago when I first got into scanning, my 800XLT stayed real busy.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Plenty of details already in the database on VIPER...

Tobydog

For the record, several dispatch centers were combined a few years ago as a cost savings. Greensboro is dispatched out of Raleigh, Asheville is dispatched out of Newton, Troop B is actually dispatched from Elizabethtown and I think Troop A is also dispatched from Raleigh. All on VIPER although low band license still active but idle.

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
They still use there respected talk groups with some of them patched together.

Tobydog

To clarify, all Troop districts are still as listed, just different dispatch centers due to state budget cutbacks a few years ago. And with VIPER as it is set up, any HP dispatch center can be used for another district. Has been done in recent months for various reasons. Recently heard Salisbury dispatching for another district. Great system in place

Chris0516

Thank you all the responses. After I posted this thread, last night. I started thinking about it. That is when I remembered Viper. I had been so focused on the aviation side of my UBCD325p2, that. I completely forgot about Viper.

Probably. 99% of their traffic along with most state and increasingly more local traffic is on Viper. I never see cars with long whips anymore. Heck, I hardly see NCSHP anymore on the highway anymore.

I have my 325 programmed for Viper sites along major interstates. You don’t need a lot sites, especially further East you get as towers have awesome line of sight.

In wake county, my scanners don’t pick up much public safety analog anymore. I mostly here one sided aircraft reports, locution stuff, chathem co, and rag chews. 35 years ago when I first got into scanning, my 800XLT stayed real busy.
My scanner can get Wake County's Cary/Wake25 digital system. So I hear a lot from them.

The map on the wiki should still be accurate for troop and district designations but I doubt the frequencies are. I hear shp on Viper nearly everywhere I travel. I do still catch some low band traffic on occasion in WNC but it is rare.

I originally started with a Google search. Finding several reports by the state, dated last year regarding the Troop realignments. The confusion from those pages, prompted me to remember Viper.

Last edited:

jthorpe

Tobydog

For those who may think they are not seeing SHP on the roads these days, don't be complacent. They are using more unmarked and slick top units these days, even though staffing is short, they are still out

jthorpe

For those who may think they are not seeing SHP on the roads these days, don't be complacent. They are using more unmarked and slick top units these days, even though staffing is short, they are still out
No more than 20% of the fleet can be unmarked, by statute

reconrider8

yea staffing shortages are most of the reason. you take 4 or 5 units per 2 county area and you only have 2 or 3 on at a time and you get a wreck and bam there goes 1 or 2 of them and then another stays patrolling

N4VX

Kinda hard to hear any 42MHz NCSHP traffic considering all that equipment was dismantled and sold as surplus (i.e scrap metal) quite a few years ago... RIP KIQ822:ROFLMAO:. Any long whip antennas spotted recently will either be a 5/8 wave VHF or 27MHz CB antenna.

They are using more unmarked and slick top units these days
Nope. There is still a17% legislative maximum of unmarked vehicles in the NCSHP fleet per NCGS 20-4 § 20-190 : ".....that not less than eighty-three percent (83%) of the number of motor vehicles operated on the highways of the State by members of the State Highway Patrol shall be painted a uniform color of black and silver....."

Chris0516

Kinda hard to hear any 42MHz NCSHP traffic considering all that equipment was dismantled and sold as surplus (i.e scrap metal) quite a few years ago... RIP KIQ822:ROFLMAO:. Any long whip antennas spotted recently will either be a 5/8 wave VHF or 27MHz CB antenna.
I listen to them on the TGs' not analog, and more than one county.

Status
Not open for further replies.