NCSHP L&T Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
This was initially brought up in the VIPER thread but since this is not VIPER specific per se, I wanted to ask some questions about this. WA4MJF touched on this topic and I was wondering how their districts are aligned? I understand that its relatively in line with SHP Patrol Troops but how when most of the call signs that I am hearing are 1Vxx associated with VIPER TG 4528 (L&T Dist 1). The troops are assigned alphabetically and I was trying to get a feel for how they work because its kind of confusing. I hear Dist 1 associated with the southeast coast (Onslow County). Can anyone (WA4MJF) give a better primer on this so I can figure out what I am listening to?

Ive heard some traffic today associated with a major wreck that has 4/5 of US HWY 258 closed down and would love to learn more!

Hopefully my ramblings make sense!

Thanks

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Technically not SHP

Actually, License & Theft is not a part of State Highway Patrol. Back when the spinoff occurred from the Division of Motor Vehicles Enforcement Section, the uniformed personnel (vehicle enforcement officers) were transferred to the State Highway Patrol, where they all eventually became troopers upon completion of lateral entry training. The inspectors (plain clothes) remained with DMV and became the License & Theft Division of DMV (they still carry the title of inspector). They handle inspection station regulations, vehicle titling issues, and many other things that would require administrative and investigative work.

As to districting, the DMV districts used to be very similar, if not the same, with SHP's. I would imagine they are the same now with L & T, as before the spinoff. Hopefully WA4MJF will chime in to verify or correct this.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
FireCop is right!

The Highway Patrol took over the weighing and enforcement of commercial motor vehicles.

The DOT still controls the license and theft and drivers license officers and examiners and inspection of service stations.

However DMV still uses the frequency 42.900 Mhz and 800 Mhz for communications. As far as I know SHP Troopers are not allowed to use the DMV channels anymore.

David

AllenKelly

L&T Inspectors

I don't think they use the radios for much of anything anymore unless their MCT (MDT) is down. And even then it is rare. But they are there if they need them and the HP dispatcher and county sheriff dispatchers are always happy to help them. Many Sheriffs loan them mobiles and handhelds for good measure.

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
L&T What is it?!

My initial question seems to have been lost in muddy waters.

VIPER indicates Logistics and Training
Discussion Board Indicates as Licence and Theft

Clarification :confused:

AllenKelly

My initial question seems to have been lost in muddy waters.

VIPER indicates Logistics and Training
Discussion Board Indicates as Licence and Theft

Clarification :confused:

No longer a need to be confused, Sorry for being off the original topic. I was following the thread. which was in fact on topic. I just hung up the phone with Captian Alan Melvin of the NC State Highway Patrol, He as I'm sure you know is also the Administrator of "NC Viper" And he says that those TG's are NC DMV L&T (License & Theft) and not NC SHP L & T. Logistics and Training

You said VIPER indicates Logistics and Training. Where did you find that.

Last edited:

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
It was initially mentioned in the VIPER thread but that thread has mysteriously vanished making me question my sanity (Thanks KE4ZNR :twisted:). I do not know how it initially came to light beyond the disappearing VIPER thread....

No longer a need to be confused, Sorry for being off the original topic. I was following the thread. which was in fact on topic. I just hung up the phone with Captian Alan Melvin of the NC State Highway Patrol, He as I'm sure you know is also the Administrator of "NC Viper" And he says that those TG's are NC DMV L&T (License & Theft) and not NC SHP L & T. Logistics and Training

You said VIPER indicates Logistics and Training. Where did you find that.

Status
Not open for further replies.