• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

NCSHP on VIPER

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionut44

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
198
Location
Kernersville, NC
I recently put all the VIPER control frequencies (per RadioReference.com) in a bank on my PRO-96 and have been monitoring, including on a trip from Kernersville to Goldsboro and back over the Memorial Day weekend. I was receiving SHP base station transmissions on several talk groups monitored with control channels from Stokes, Guilford, Orange, Alamance, Randolph, Wake, and Johnston counties, but it seems clear the mobiles are NOT being run thru repeaters as has been my experience with all other trunked systems I monitor. My guess is that the control channels "control" the transmit frequencies for the mobiles just as if they were being repeated. I have no idea what they use for car to car unless they are still using the old low band transmitters. Does anyone have any info on this and/or if they are transmitting on the trunk frequencies is there a way to get the PRO-96 to "listen" to the selected transmit frequencies for the mobiles as well as for the bases?
 

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
7,069
Location
Raleigh, NC
What your are hearing is the SHP dispatcher talking on both the low band frequencies and the 800Mhz system at the same time....Most SHP dispatchers have it setup so that when they make a transmission on VHF it is also dispatched over 800Mhz....but the only time you will hear the Trooper respond back to Dispatch on 800Mhz is when they used their 800Mhz Handheld Radio to communicate back to Dispatch...otherwise the troopers are replying back on the Low Band VHF Frequency assigned to their District....
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

radionut44 said:
I recently put all the VIPER control frequencies (per RadioReference.com) in a bank on my PRO-96 and have been monitoring, including on a trip from Kernersville to Goldsboro and back over the Memorial Day weekend. I was receiving SHP base station transmissions on several talk groups monitored with control channels from Stokes, Guilford, Orange, Alamance, Randolph, Wake, and Johnston counties, but it seems clear the mobiles are NOT being run thru repeaters as has been my experience with all other trunked systems I monitor. My guess is that the control channels "control" the transmit frequencies for the mobiles just as if they were being repeated. I have no idea what they use for car to car unless they are still using the old low band transmitters. Does anyone have any info on this and/or if they are transmitting on the trunk frequencies is there a way to get the PRO-96 to "listen" to the selected transmit frequencies for the mobiles as well as for the bases?
 

radionut44

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
198
Location
Kernersville, NC
Do you know if there are plans to repeat all mobile transmissions on 800 mhz in the future as is usually done on trunking systems?
 

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
7,069
Location
Raleigh, NC
radionut44 said:
Do you know if there are plans to repeat all mobile transmissions on 800 mhz in the future as is usually done on trunking systems?
probably will not happen until down the road (a few years) when:
1) the rest of the VIPER Infrastructure is finished being setup and running
2) the rest of the lowband VHF is pulled....
Right now the SHP is going by the motto of no rush cause what they have is currently working....Lowband VHF comms with 800Mhz where available assisting....
You have to understand that SHP still considers Lowband VHF as primary comms with MDT next and 800Mhz 3rd on the list....
 

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,959
Location
West of Charlotte NC
One day (when it's complete) all of the troopers will have a 800mhz HT and mobile.

Edit.....That's what I get for being slow :D
 

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
7,069
Location
Raleigh, NC
Grog said:
One day (when it's complete) all of the troopers will have a 800mhz HT and mobile.

Edit.....That's what I get for being slow :D
Grog-
You know Great (or insane) minds think alike bro :D:wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top