NCSHP. radio equipment questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
They filed for a renewal on them on the 18th

They were granted a renewal as reported in the weekly updates thread.

jthorpe

waiiiitt a sec, the whole bring the violator back to the car thing, that was just so they could hear their radio?

and for the past ten or fifteen years now my self-esteem has been plummeting for nothing?

i mean when i first started off driving, they always asked me back to their car for some friendly banter (umm, awkward chatter) and as i got older, well, it seemed to happen less and less.

no one seemed to want to talk anymore.

"No, no. Don't get out. You can stay in your car sir. This will just be a minute."

"oh...ok...gotcha..."

***Trooper gets back into his car, I swing my leg back into mine, looking back over my shoulder when i shut my door, making sure he doesn't think I am bout to make a run for it.....thumb twiddling ensues, sometimes evolving into rear-view mirror self-inspection and eventually zit-po....well you know what i am talking about***

"hmmmm, guess he thinks i'll be a distraction or something.... maybe i just ain't got it anymore....i mean i'm a fun guy, a funny guy...well not like that, but you know, funny-ha-ha-funny....geez, maybe there is some note when they pull up my plate.

-Officer note: Subj talks incessantly, thinks he's funny. Rec'd left in own vehicle. To think about what he has done.

i have been getting a complex over this!

a 2-300 buck chit-chat ain't what i am looking for on a saturday night, but then in addition, being Socially Shunned? insult to injury! Its been really eating at me.

Man, my therapist is gonna get laugh over this.
uhhhhh... you lost me dude...

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
??? Why would they renew( the State SHP) renew some lowband freqs. Renewed 42.50/42.52/42.60/42.64/154.680/456.3. Date 3/19/21 Boone, NC

1) The renewal of these low band frequencies is due to the topography of the area.
Lots of valleys and ridges.
VHF LO has better propagation characteristics.
It would be hard to justify the number of sites need for the comparitively small number of units.
To cover down into all of the valleys would require a much larger number of sites in an area than would be needed in the flatter areas of Eastern NC.

2) installed base,
The 42 MHz units are already installed and working. Why fix something that isn't broken?

3) this is a peripheral area.
VIPER has not had all the kinks worked out yet, this buys time for the techs to work on other, busier areas first.

4) 456.3 MHz The SHP has several legacy UHF STL links, (dispatch Center to remote base link) this is probaly one of them.

CCHLLM

456.300 was (is?) one of the links. Me thunked all the low band stuff had been removed. Then they pulled the idiot move of dumping the 1/4 wave whip because of "antenna costs and repairing the car" when it was retired. They then began putting a base loaded NMO 40 MHz antenna on a bracket on the left rear near the C-pillar. Gee, wonder why low band reception suddenly became so crappy and inadequate, and the frequent 10 to 20 mile car-to-car simplex out in the country went to hell in a handbasket?

Sorry, they took my low band away an' I ain't got over it....

Yes, 42 MHz is a wonderful thing. I spent many hours fishing on the sands of Hatteras with the GE MASTR Pro low band scanning the SHP's 4 dispatch channels of that time, then I got a MotherMoto MaraTrac low band that could scan 4 times that number of channels. Yeah! The Mt. Mitchell 42.620 KIB898 330 watt GE xmtr was quite readable out there on the banx most of the time, especially at night.

Ahhh.... the olden days of DXing low band LE & FD radio Traffic....

Last edited:

N4VX

1) The renewal of these low band frequencies is due to the topography of the area.
Lots of valleys and ridges.
VHF LO has better propagation characteristics.
It would be hard to justify the number of sites need for the comparitively small number of units.
To cover down into all of the valleys would require a much larger number of sites in an area than would be needed in the flatter areas of Eastern NC.

2) installed base,
The 42 MHz units are already installed and working. Why fix something that isn't broken?

3) this is a peripheral area.
VIPER has not had all the kinks worked out yet, this buys time for the techs to work on other, busier areas first.

4) 456.3 MHz The SHP has several legacy UHF STL links, (dispatch Center to remote base link) this is probaly one of them.

1) While it is true that VHF-Low has "better" propagation, that's probably not the reason for any license renewal. RIP KQL720

2)No 42MHz units exist in regular service for the NCSHP and haven't for quite a few years. Mobile, base and repeater radios all saw the surplus yard years ago. 1/4kW Micors and Prog-lines are heavy. I'm sure they brought great prices at the metal yard.

3)Nowhere is NC is a peripheral area. Also, what "kinks" does VIPER have in 2021? Some dead spots may exist but the coverage is greater than lowband ever was for 99.7% of the state.

4)Nope. Microwave backhaul. RIP KSB57

A lot of us miss lowband too but it was long in the tooth and nearly unmaintainable. Eimac 8560's were getting hard to come by from reliable sources.

jthorpe

So it is true then!?!?

that no one invites me back to the car, while writing me a ticket, cause the word got out i talk too much???

I am incensed. Black-balling a speeder just cuz he tries to be friendly is pretty cruel if you ask me.

Just for that I think I am going to start riding my bicycle more!

Lord... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.