NCSHP Troop E

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFP387

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but in monitoring 42.94 (the base channel for Troop E3 and E6), I've noticed that ALL the cars are now coming through. It seems that they have been ricced (radio interconnected) through some sort of repeater because there is a little hang time after the troopers release the mic. All this is happening on the base channel. Could it be that VIPER is interconnected through the VHF system now?

ts548

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but in monitoring 42.94 (the base channel for Troop E3 and E6), I've noticed that ALL the cars are now coming through. It seems that they have been ricced (radio interconnected) through some sort of repeater because there is a little hang time after the troopers release the mic. All this is happening on the base channel. Could it be that VIPER is interconnected through the VHF system now?

Not sure about that area but here in the mtns they have VIPER patched to lowband, so its possible that's what they are doing in your district.

CFP387

Not sure about that area but here in the mtns they have VIPER patched to lowband, so its possible that's what they are doing in your district.

That very well may be the case. I have noticed, though, that I only hear the E3 and E6 cars on the patch. The E9 and NH units evidentally are not patched because I haven't heard them at all.

It was a real surprise to me last night to hear the E6 (Cabarrus) cars come in so clear. Before, I had a hard time hearing E3 cars only a few miles away with a 30' antenna.

Another interesting note is that SHP is not transmitting on the Rowan TRS today. I think Troop E communications has moved into their new building, but what happened with all these changes all of a sudden?

KM4WLV

That very well may be the case. I have noticed, though, that I only hear the E3 and E6 cars on the patch. The E9 and NH units evidentally are not patched because I haven't heard them at all.

It was a real surprise to me last night to hear the E6 (Cabarrus) cars come in so clear. Before, I had a hard time hearing E3 cars only a few miles away with a 30' antenna.

Another interesting note is that SHP is not transmitting on the Rowan TRS today. I think Troop E communications has moved into their new building, but what happened with all these changes all of a sudden?

Well Shannon, you beat me to it, lol. I just happend to notice this on the way home from work tonight. I thought I was hearing them either on the Rowan or VIPER system & looked down & saw 42.940 on the display. I thought I was hearing things, lol.

I noticed when the base (Salisbury) transmits when they unkey the mic it cuts right off, but when you have a trooper transmitting there is a slight hang time afterwards. I'm not sure if that's because he is on a portable on the VIPER side & it's just "patched" over to the LB side or if they are re-transmitting the "car" traffic on the LB side back over to VIPER. Have I lost ya yet? LOL

I noticed also yesterday that Salisbury was still transmitting on 5840 (SHP on the Rowan system), but today they weren't. Surely you would think that the troopers still have access to the Rowan system.

CFP387

Yeah, I'm really lost about all these immediate changes. Although I'm not complaining about being able to hear the Troopers call in now! As much as I'd like this to remain a permament thing, we all know that the VHF lowband will eventually be phased out.

As far as the Rowan TRS, I'm still not sure why we're not hearing them. Since they're not transmitting on the TRS, do you think that any other agency can still call them on the county's 800 system? Does any other agency in Rowan have access to the VIPER system in their radios except for SHP and Emergency Management?

KM4WLV

Yeah, I'm really lost about all these immediate changes. Although I'm not complaining about being able to hear the Troopers call in now! As much as I'd like this to remain a permament thing, we all know that the VHF lowband will eventually be phased out.

As far as the Rowan TRS, I'm still not sure why we're not hearing them. Since they're not transmitting on the TRS, do you think that any other agency can still call them on the county's 800 system? Does any other agency in Rowan have access to the VIPER system in their radios except for SHP and Emergency Management?

Yeah, I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts. The new comm center is pretty nice BTW :)

As far as the Rowan 800 system, my understanding is they still have access to it because they monitor county fire & such. It used to be a Moto Spectra mounted on the console, though I didn't see that this time. I just wonder if they have access to it on the screen now. When I worked out there back in 2000-02 we had installed the MCS2000's in the tower house that "simulcast" the LB traffic to both the Rowan and Cabarrus systems.

As far as Rowan EM and such, I'm guessing that the upper brass probably has access to VIPER but as far as other agencies I'm not sure. I'll see what I can find out :)

CFP387

Well, I think they have terminated the patch because I haven't heard them lately. I guess I shouldn't have said anything, but it was nice while it lasted. I would hope that they reestablish it again and leave it up permanently.

FD5722 said:
The new comm center is pretty nice BTW

So, you've been there to see it. You could have called me to see if I wanted to come join you seeing that it's just a mile away from my house! :)

I have heard that it's pretty nice. I've got to get there sometime myself.

KM4WLV

So, you've been there to see it. You could have called me to see if I wanted to come join you seeing that it's just a mile away from my house! :)

I have heard that it's pretty nice. I've got to get there sometime myself.

:) I wasn't sure if you'd want to be awakend at 0030 to go, lol. Very good to see progress moving forward !!

CFP387

It would seem that SHP is now simulcasting again on the Rowan TRS and the cars are still not patched to lowband. I don't know what to make out of all these changes this week. I was really hoping the first of this week that this welcomed change would have been permament. The only thing that would have made it better is if they would have simulcast both the base and the mobiles on the TRS. Now we're back to where we started: cars on lowband, base simulcast on the TRS, and we still can't hear but one side of the conversation. What a week!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It would seem that SHP is now simulcasting again on the Rowan TRS and the cars are still not patched to lowband. I don't know what to make out of all these changes this week. I was really hoping the first of this week that this welcomed change would have been permament. The only thing that would have made it better is if they would have simulcast both the base and the mobiles on the TRS. Now we're back to where we started: cars on lowband, base simulcast on the TRS, and we still can't hear but one side of the conversation. What a week!

Of course in time the SHP Troopers there will be using VIPER as their primary source
for all comms like here in Central NC. I have an old VHF/UHF crystal controlled scanner that I keep loaded up with the lowband vhf freqs but the Troopers around here use VIPER exclusively so it is a little bit of a waste...might reprogram it with something else depending on what other crystals I have around :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

KM4WLV

I've noticed that today also. Guess we can't have our cake & eat it too :mad: LOL

Of course in time the SHP Troopers there will be using VIPER as their primary source
for all comms like here in Central NC. I have an old VHF/UHF crystal controlled scanner that I keep loaded up with the lowband vhf freqs but the Troopers around here use VIPER exclusively so it is a little bit of a waste...might reprogram it with something else depending on what other crystals I have around :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

Marshall thats kinda what I'm figuring on, sooner than later here. Guess I really need to start thinking about investing in a new scanner.

CFP387

Daniel, (or anyone here), do you know if Salisbury is actually simulcasting on VIPER, low band and TRS, or are they just patched through? Since VIPER is not fully implemented here yet, it would seem that the reason we can hear Salisbury on VIPER is because maybe they are just patched over for the time being.

I know that Daniel has been up to see the new comm center. On the consoles could you tell if it they were simulcasting or are they really just transmitting on VHF and the respective county's TRS and just patched through to VIPER? Do you know if any of the E3 cars or E9 have VIPER in their radios?

KM4WLV

Daniel, (or anyone here), do you know if Salisbury is actually simulcasting on VIPER, low band and TRS, or are they just patched through? Since VIPER is not fully implemented here yet, it would seem that the reason we can hear Salisbury on VIPER is because maybe they are just patched over for the time being.

I know that Daniel has been up to see the new comm center. On the consoles could you tell if it they were simulcasting or are they really just transmitting on VHF and the respective county's TRS and just patched through to VIPER? Do you know if any of the E3 cars or E9 have VIPER in their radios?

To be honest I'm not really sure, lol. I stopped to pick something up from JS & didn't sit long enough to look at the screen close up. I know, FAIL. LOL

I'll find out though :)

CFP387

To be honest I'm not really sure...I'll find out though.

That's okay, just take your time. Don't skip out on a turkey dinner to find out! :)

I've noticed too that the IMAP unit numbers have changed from "MAP9xx" to "MAP3xx" now. They must be matching the IMAP units with their respective SHP troop district.

fcfd988

Feed Provider
NCSHP Troop E Restructuring?

Guys,

I heard from a reliable source recently that Troop E, Districts 3, 4 and 5 are undergoing restructuring. Supposedly Surry and Stokes will be together now by themselves. I already know they are the District 4 counties but does this mean changes in the radio channel assignments on Low Band or VIPER?

As of current, District 3, 4 and 5 all operate on Low Band channels 9 and 10 and most all comms on VIPER occur on the Troop E Dist 4 TG of 2736. I understand that Salisbury always simul-selects on Low Band Channel 10 / Troop E Dist 4 and I do hear some traffic on the Troop E Dist 3 TG 2704, but have never heard a peep on Troop E Dist 5 TG 2768.

Anyone?

Wes

KM4WLV

Guys,

I heard from a reliable source recently that Troop E, Districts 3, 4 and 5 are undergoing restructuring. Supposedly Surry and Stokes will be together now by themselves. I already know they are the District 4 counties but does this mean changes in the radio channel assignments on Low Band or VIPER?

As of current, District 3, 4 and 5 all operate on Low Band channels 9 and 10 and most all comms on VIPER occur on the Troop E Dist 4 TG of 2736. I understand that Salisbury always simul-selects on Low Band Channel 10 / Troop E Dist 4 and I do hear some traffic on the Troop E Dist 3 TG 2704, but have never heard a peep on Troop E Dist 5 TG 2768.

Anyone?

Wes

Wes,

My pastor is a dispatcher for Troop E. I'll talk to him Sunday at church & see what I can find out for ya :) I think Shannon (CFP387) was wondering something along the same lines.

Hope ya had a good Thanksgiving !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.