NCSHP Viper - Dispatch Traffic Only

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone,

I recently started monitoring SHP traffic on a drive from Wake County to South Carolina.

Im monitoring Troop B, but I am only hearing the dispatcher traffic, not any of the patrol units? There is just "dead air" in between each of the dispatcher's trasmissions. Am I missing something, or is that normal? I feel like this wasn't the case with Troop C in Wake County.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Possible encryption in use. Just a after thought.
OR missing channels in the radio?

Did you check in the Viper thread?

richardbritt

Database Admin
You are more than likely hearing the dispatcher communicating with a unit in another district and not the district you are in. Listen to the unit number they are communicating with, and compare it with the district you are in. They do this all the time. I live in A3 but I hear calls in A2, A4 etc all the time. That's more than likely what you are hearing. You will hear cars near VIPER sites you are close to. The NCHP district map is in the Wiki.

Regards, Richard

Tobydog

Radio tech told me it was the computer program that is not catching up. Troop B District 7 is my hole from time to time. XTS5000 has done it regularly but APX catches majority of traffic. No encryption on main channels yet, but who knows when Phase 2 comes in 2025.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Some comm centers multi-select (MSEL) across multiple districts, others patch districts together. Patches allow everyone to hear each other. Multi-select only allows the console traffic to go out across multiple channels and the field unit responds on their respective channel only. What you're experiencing is a multi-select. You're hearing a console covering multiple districts and the field unit is responding on a different talkgroup than you're scanning/what may not be affiliated on the towers you're scanning.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
As several have stated your hearing calls for districts outside the area your in. They’re short staffed like many comm centers and often time, especially Raleigh a single dispatcher is working multiple counties (districts) at a time and have them multi-selected.

Case in point I can monitor Troop C/District 6 (Johnston Co) and hear dispatches for Wake, Wayne, and Durham. I’ll hear the C6 cars all day long but not the C2, C3, etc.

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
Some comm centers multi-select (MSEL) across multiple districts, others patch districts together. Patches allow everyone to hear each other. Multi-select only allows the console traffic to go out across multiple channels and the field unit responds on their respective channel only. What you're experiencing is a multi-select. You're hearing a console covering multiple districts and the field unit is responding on a different talkgroup than you're scanning/what may not be affiliated on the towers you're scanning.

I see! I'm only used to patching on the wake system as all TGs are simulcasted on every tower. This was the first multi-district scan Ive done so I have never experienced unaffiliated TGs on/off sites.

Thank you all for the help!

PKnight56

another thing to consider

different technologies.

Last year, I was a passenger in my friend's Tahoe (in troop B) in Bladen County that got T-boned at approx 50-55mph on the driver's side (through no fault of our own) by a 19 year old Alcohol (open container with condensation in the cup holder) and cocaine impaired (results of the BAC after the fact as he was unconscious at the scene) kid in a Dodge 3/4 ton HEMI on a country road. The 19 year old had stop signs and flashing red lights on his side but did not stop nor show signs of applying the brakes and hit us.

Me and the friend were ok with the friend bruised but no broken bones. The 19 year old was taken to the hospital

two NCHP troopers show up in the chargers - the second officer leaves with the ambulance as the open containers and breath of alcohol was enough probable cause for arrest). The main officer handles the entire accident investigation with comms back to dispatch....

On a LG cellphone Speed-dialing to dispatch No Lie -

We are sitting in the back seat of one of the chargers while the trooper is getting our statements about the wreck. He calls in the license and registration / insurance check of both vehicles using the LG cellphone. He gets the report number for my friend via the LG cellphone comm. My buddy asked if the radio was broken as it was odd not using the radio; and the trooper responded "police scanners"....

jthorpe

Multi-select combined with most of VIPER being multi-cast and not simulcast. One comm center dispatches HP for nearly 50 counties. If the appropriate Troopers are not affiliated with the tower you're listening to, you won't hear anything.

jthorpe

Radio tech told me it was the computer program that is not catching up. Troop B District 7 is my hole from time to time. XTS5000 has done it regularly but APX catches majority of traffic. No encryption on main channels yet, but who knows when Phase 2 comes in 2025.

Computer program not catching up? uhhhh, what does that mean exactly