Ncshp Xray Callsign ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major special event in Carteret County at the beginning of the month (Pepsi AmericaSail Tall Ships) had units from every NCSHP Troop and all State agencies working together in Morehead City/Beaufort with heavy use of 800 Mhz.....

while monitoring the 800 Mhz system I heard units from every Troop on.......including a couple that id'd : XRAY ### . (their traffic was mixed in with other SHP units, so just a guess that they were SHP, by no means sure !)

Wonder if anyone knows what agency or division or troop they come under ???

thanks !!

Barefootdipole
Carteret County

redclay

X-Ray callsigns for NCHP

Maj. Woody Sandy of VIPER said that X-Ray units are patrol staff officers (I imagine Lts. and up) and that their call signs/numbers change periodically. At least that is what i recall him telling me when asked a few months ago - I asked him during an unrelated event because my media group covers a good deal of spot news and we sometimes hear x-ray units involved, often airborne . rgds, redclay 7/14

CCHLLM

And the RE I comm techs have X as the second letter of their call signs. Ex: DX74 is a comm tech at Troop D Radio Shop. RE IIs have the troop designator as the first character and three digits. D190 is the RE II at Troop D, and since he's also one of the leaders of the VIPER project, he's also L199.

Last edited:

pboy

redclay said:
Maj. Woody Sandy of VIPER said that X-Ray units are patrol staff officers (I imagine Lts. and up) and that their call signs/numbers change periodically. At least that is what i recall him telling me when asked a few months ago - I asked him during an unrelated event because my media group covers a good deal of spot news and we sometimes hear x-ray units involved, often airborne . rgds, redclay 7/14

Can't find it again, but I recall a post suggesting X were air units.

I have heard traffic from an X call pertaining to flight plan.

Also could be connectlon to "X" talkgroup each troop has now on 800.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Sorry for the bad info, folks. Thanks for the corrections !

PBoy - thanks for the "Waveguide" link on your post. Good information, and nicely designed.

And thanks for the Hickory Record photo of Trooper Brian Perkins with the Dodge evaluation vehicle. Brian was a customer of mine when he owned a couple of convenience stores in Caldwell County, prior to joining NCHP about 1998 ? I do the 321 / I-40 corridors occasionally, and was expecting I'd see him sooner or later. Now I know what to look for.

Jeff Multer

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Xray are the SHP helios, the techs do use X as the second letter with the first being the troop assignment. Troop commanders depend on several things. I will post a detailed SHP list soon with everyting you guys keep comming up with, Just pm me with questions!

wcu02mpa

Unit call clarification

X-ray calls are command staff calls. Z-zebra calls are helo pilots. At least that is the way it was back when I was with DMV (now "9" calls).

Mike AF4AY in Asheville

KIB-894

X-Ray Callsigns, etc

The previous post is correct referring to X-ray followed by 3 numbers as
command staff. The X-ray followed by 100 series is command staff throughout
the state. There are also other cars in the X-200, 300, 400 and so on that
are mainly assigned to the training academy at various levels.
Z-zebra is aviation, M-mary is motorcycle, R-robert is accident reconstruction.
You may hear a unit callsign such as VX-19 that is likely radio repair.
jtmann KIB-894

wcu02mpa

Odd call signs

Thanks KIB-894 (call sign for the Raleigh transmitter I think). The VX calls; VX-11, VX-33 are DMV license and theft section command staff calls. Calls like NX-11, NX-15 etc are ALE (Alcohol law enforcement) command staff calls.

42.90 was traditionally used for motor carrier enforcement. I still hear them on, but rarely anymore. DMV still uses 42.90 but very rarely heard here. 42.84 and 42.86 has ALE traffic....mostly routine message traffic, administrative or when's lunch??

Mike AF4AY

zmanpro96

Incorrect...There is no more motor carrier enforcement all the transition schools are over and everyone has transitioned over to SHP...And all old motor carrier enforcement callsigns always have a 9 as there second number..Example C950, D950 etc...Go the info from my pops(C950)..

Status
Not open for further replies.