NDB's on 190 kHz to 280 kHz and Beacon CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did the FCC first start allocating NDB's on the 190 kHz to 285 kHz? And why did they pick the European LW broadcaster frequencies such 198 kHz and 216 kHz to be NDB channel allocations. To save the last BBC frequency they should of moved Beacon DIW Dixon NC on 198 kHz to 203 kHz so us listeners can hear BBC 4 on 198 kHz with a long wire antenna, and move Beacon CLB from Carolina Beach, NC to 219 kHz. Cause of this, I have to use a loop antenna to null out Beacon DIW on 198 kHz to hear the faint signal from the UK on 198 kHz. I wish that all beacons be used on 320 kHz to 520 kHz instead of taking over 190 kHz to 285 kHz just so DXer's can enjoy the LW broadcast band with loop antennas and long wire antennas, but still the NDB's need to be moved away from the 9 kHz European frequencies for DXing purposes. I know now that DGPS is used on 285 kHz to 320 kHz. Do you think NDB morse code will be replaced with DGPS technology in the future?

I remember back in 1992 I used to receive Maritime Navigational Beacon CB on 289 kHz until it turned into a DGPS station in Driver, VA, does anyone know about that beacon for the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia Beach, Virginia, Driver VA? That there was a Maritime beacon not a Areonautical Beacon. Beacon CB was the first beacon I used to receive when I first got my DX-380 for Christmas back in 1992. Then in 1994 Beacon CB changed from a beacon to DGPS signal.

Token

I don't know when NDBs first started, but I know I listened to them in the 1960's. I think they were quite well established and "old" by that time. I know ADFs (automatic direction finders) were well established by World War 2 and did operate in the LW region, as well as the MW.

T!

k9rzz

Ha Ha! You tell 'em. Let's start a petition and give it to the FAA. How many signatures do you think we'll need?
icon6.gif

lanbergld

Cause of this, I have to use a loop antenna to null out Beacon DIW on 198 kHz to hear the faint signal from the UK on 198 kHz.

Use a big ferrite loopstick, preferrably of 77 material, run into a simple homemade preamplifier and you can have all the directivity & signal gain you can handle. This is what I do. I'm in Virginia too and get those European LW stations real good and clear in AM mode. I understand exactly what you're complaining about however, especially about 216 CLB which blows my doors off.

Stormwise sells the huge ferrite rods that you can wind yourself, and their website also has instructions for making simple preamplifiers.

903-383-7047 Stormwise Outdoor Lightning Detection

Nothing beats a good ferrite loopstick for long wave and medium wave reception, I don't care what anybody says.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.