NDF switching numbers again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While listening to the lighting strike fire in the Reno area today, NDF units were being called out by their old callsigns, the ones before they went under Reno Fire. Like BC-3 instead of BC-33 of Brush-8 instead od Brush-38. Even the WildCAD shows them with the old callsigns again. Any ideas, could this just be for fire season?
Scott B

SCPD

QRT
It has been my observation that there are at least three topics that can elicit amounts of conversation and meetings exceeding their relative importance in public safety agencies. They are, and not neccessarily in any order, what type of hat shall we wear with our uniform?, what should our ten code or clear text be?, and finally, what should our radio call assignment system be?

Yeah they dont even show up on the WildCad system anymore. It was during a lighting storm we had back in june. They have formed their own department, and broken away from NDF they are now called Sierra Fire Protection Dist. The engines are White with Red, instead of the old NDF White and Green. Also are they still going off Reno Red or do they have their own channels yet?

sigint1

Was: joking
Washoe county took over the Sierra Forest Fire Protection District on July 1st - this was being planned for several months - the district isnt new - been around for years but part of NDF - If I remember the articles about it - for the most part it will be made up of the NDF personnel and equipment that was already there - my guess it will be combined or associated with the Reno Fire Dept and Truckee Meadows fire protection district which merged 5 or 6 yeas ago. - My guess since they are now under control of Washoe County that they will use the WCRCS EDACS system.

BCFlash

Yes that change occurred in Washoe County. NDF is still operating on their VHF system out of Carson, Storey and Douglas counties along the Sierra front, as well as other parts of the state.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Ndf

Over the course of some time the State of Nevada has been re-evaluating thier services provided thru NDF, the concensus being that NDF is exceeding thier mandate by proving services outside their orgional mission. It had been recomended that The Sierra Forest Fire Protection district be spun off to local agencies while NDF maintains Wildland responsibility. Story county, and Douglas county have already done the same. The last rements of the old NDF are in Elko and Las Vegas, and while I do not know about Elko, Mt Charlston FFPD will like move to Las Vegas FD soon as they have annexed all the way to the boundry. This came from a Firefighter working at Kyle Station.

The report on Sierra is here: http://www.forestry.nv.gov/docs/SFFPDPhase2FinalReport3.pdf

dispatching:http://www.cityofreno.com/gov/news/?newsid=17213

tridata report: http://forestry.nv.gov/docs/Nevada_ Final_ Report0005_07140.pdf#search="iaff ndf"

Status
Not open for further replies.