NDXN on the Railroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
My question would be what is the use of that frequency? Is it a road channel or something other use?

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
NXDN Useage

Given the limited use of that frequency, it wouldn't surprise me if it was NXDN modulation. I've heard a digital modulation on one of the BNSF MRAS (mobile telephone) channels here in Denver that I suspected was NXDN. All the radio showed was 'DG' modulation... Bits and pieces here and there I guess.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Has the Long Island Railroad changed to the ICOM or kenwood digital capable radios know that the road channels are analog just curios if they swapped to digital for support functions.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
NXDN On The Railroads

The county agency I retired from a couple of years ago was (and still is) an all VHF radio system. Several years ago Motorola stopped supporting their VHF radios so the county had to seek other suppliers for their VHF radios. They are now using Kenwood and Icom commercial radios. As far as I know, these radios are not digital capable. The radios the railroads are going to have the capability of being switched to the NXDN protocols if they make the switch.

SCPD

QRT
Most modern icom or kenwood are digital compatible. Depending on model it can have a board installed to run nxdn/Idas or p25 format or some only will allow either the nxdn Idas format or p25 and won't allow for all 2/3. Basically majority are ready and can do one or either them formats. Idas and nxdn are basically same thing. I got a icom radio with the board pre installed so if any rail road went digital in a yard or road I'd have no problem monitoring. Do you recall your former agencies model of radio they replaced motorola depleted contract with?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
The county agency I retired from a couple of years ago was (and still is) an all VHF radio system. Several years ago Motorola stopped supporting their VHF radios so the county had to seek other suppliers for their VHF radios. They are now using Kenwood and Icom commercial radios. As far as I know, these radios are not digital capable. The radios the railroads are going to have the capability of being switched to the NXDN protocols if they make the switch.

Ummmm....

They've been deploying NXDN capable radios for years.

You do know that Kenwood and Icom produce more than one model of radio, right? Just because your former department is using analog only doesn't mean that the railroads aren't deploying digital capable radios.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Most modern icom or kenwood are digital compatible. Depending on model it can have a board installed to run nxdn/Idas or p25 format or some only will allow either the nxdn Idas format or p25 and won't allow for all 2/3. Basically majority are ready and can do one or either them formats. Idas and nxdn are basically same thing. I got a icom radio with the board pre installed so if any rail road went digital in a yard or road I'd have no problem monitoring. Do you recall your former agencies model of radio they replaced motorola depleted contract with?
IDAS is NXDN. They're not "basically the same thing", IDAS uses the NXDN digital protocol.

SCPD

QRT
Referring to the basic digital protocol. You get into trunking it won't work together. Since everyone want so be pin point accurate smart here.

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
Metro North or any of the MTA RR is not going NXDN all the new M8 rail cars are coming new with harris 7100IP radios and the older stuff was retro fitted with CDM1250

Nasby

I'm getting a nice Kenwood to be ready for the NDXN switch over in 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.