NDXN on the Railroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapshot0017

Alright I don't know if there is another thread, but I am going to start this here. The railroads are finally going digital, plain and simple. So this thread is to post any news, recordings or chatter about it.

I know there are other threads, but I am creating thing so that everything can be put into just one thread and not 20 others...

Looking forward to what everyone has to offer!

Last edited:

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
The thing is, there are hundreds of railroads, and they're all going to do it at different times. We're seeing the beginning. A centralized thread isn't really possible, and a thread with no information is superfluous.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
It is to post as things develop. Seriously are you not getting this? Lol

Things have been developing for years... The entire forum is dedicated to railroad comms.

If things went the way you want, it would turn in to a giant thread that nobody would read.

slapshot0017

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound rude or arrogant. All I was trying to do was to get a thread started that would make it easier and more centralized to understand everything that's going on. Like how the threads are setup for digital voice for amateur use and stuff like that.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Not necessarily.......

Yes. They are.

The equipment has been rolling out for several years, and the major companies have already changed most of their licenses with the digital emissions.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
"The Railroads are going digital plain and simple" is not an accurate general statement.

There are some class 1 road channels that will stay analog for the foreseeable future, there are several shortlines that will not go to digital. On that note, there are regional railroads that are going to digital, but are going to other protocols (I know a huge regional railroad that has many mototrbo installations) Yes, this is in opposition to the AAR's recommendations and interchange practice, but this is what is happening.

There are in fact digital radios and channels in use, and more coming, but it is not "plain and simple" that "the railroads" are just going to digital. There are exceptions and different circumstances all across the country.

I guess if 2 railroads used one digital channel each, that would be technically accurate, though....

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Is there some information that you have that you're not sharing? Which class I's are staying analog? As far as I know, they're all rolling out the equipment.

I don't think you realize who the AAR is. They are the frequency coordinator for the RR band. They don't make suggestions, they make rules.

As far as some short line, who really cares what they do. If they want to do business, they'll fall in line with interchange rules. By the way, in the grand scheme of things, the class 1's have tens of thousands of radios, possibly totaling into the hundreds of thousands category. Does one ma and pay short line really count?

Yes, the railroads really are going digital. Deny it all you like, but it is true.

nsrailfan6130

I don't see Norfolk Southern (At least up here) going digital anytime soon (Except in Police services). But, day to day ops here is still analog (at least for the foreseeable future). Adrian & Blissfield RR is going (or Have gone) to NXDN, but, I still hear them in analog when calling the NS Dispatcher on their road channel. How long RR comms will stay in the clear remains to be seen, but, one thing you can be certain of is that changes will come. Just monitor while you can and enjoy it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
... How long RR comms will stay in the clear remains to be seen, but, one thing you can be certain of is that changes will come. Just monitor while you can and enjoy it.

While comms are going digital, every indication is they will be 'in the clear' just not analog. And all indication is that as long as comms are not NXDN trunked, then the appropriate NXDN radio will allow people to keep listening, just not with cheap scanners and ham gear.

Regardless of how much people b*tch and complain, the LMR industry as a whole, IS moving towards digital voice. Folks just need to remember that there is a huge difference between digital voice and encrypted voice...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Ok, We shall see. While there is some now, and there will be more use of digital on class 1's and on regionals and shortlines, not all comm's will be digital anytime soon, I assure you. This has been debated, tested, retested, etc. on the ground and in the S&C departments.

And I presume it was the AAR that had apparently allowed TRBO emissions to be used, since I see RR comm's now with new NXDN and TRBO designators. Someone had to coordinate them.

While I agree the RR's should all use the same format, this apparently isn't happening, and for this reason along with others, I predict there will still be plenty of NB analog being used for the foreseeable future.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I don't follow the AAR closely, but it's probably more a recommendation that railroads go NXDN rather then "they have to go NXDN". Every association always has there "recommendations". The Association of Electric Cooperatives here in Iowa "recommended" the REC's in Iowa use TRBO for their digital. Some have stayed with NB-Analog.

Tim

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Ok, We shall see. While there is some now, and there will be more use of digital on class 1's and on regionals and shortlines, not all comm's will be digital anytime soon, I assure you. This has been debated, tested, retested, etc. on the ground and in the S&C departments.

And I presume it was the AAR that had apparently allowed TRBO emissions to be used, since I see RR comm's now with new NXDN and TRBO designators. Someone had to coordinate them.

While I agree the RR's should all use the same format, this apparently isn't happening, and for this reason along with others, I predict there will still be plenty of NB analog being used for the foreseeable future.

Like I said, in the grand scheme of things, what does one little wooden wheel outfit matter?

DPD1

After all the years of fretting and doom-saying, it is virtually a non issue at this point. The commercial radios are coming down in price, and scanners are going up. While a NXDN capable scanner would still be appreciated... after everything is said and done, the price is going to end up being about the same anyway. And traditionally, train enthusiasts have been much more willing to buy higher grade equipment anyway.

So...

A. Roll-out on actual mainlines still incredibly slow and maybe never in some cases.

B. Digital now available anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.