NE GA GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

twotoejoe

Recently I've noticed that I receive the mobile units of the GSP but not the bases. I've got all the troops from RR and I just noticed this recently. I'm able to pick the mobile units from 50 or so miles away. I'm using a Uniden 536 with a Tram 1405 base antenna. In the past I could pick up 5 or 6 of their repeaters. Just in the past couple of weeks I'm only picking up the mobile side of the communication. Anyone else notice this? Have they changed something?

N8IAA

You do realize that Troop B is dispatched from the Gainesville center. All troops are dispatched from central locations. Has been for quite a while. I do hear dispatches to the different posts.

If you have the repeaters programmed into your scanner, you should be hearing them. I can hear the Hiawasee repeater on three separate scanners hooked up to indoor antennas. I live in N. Gwinnett.

You must not have them programmed properly. But, then again, I don't own a 536.

twotoejoe

I haven't changed any programming since I noticed this problem. I haven't heard a single GSP transmission from any post tonight. I realize they have hotspots in their cars but I usually hear a few calls a night.

What you state about all of Troup B being dispatched out of Gainesville may be true, if so they must have a room full of dispatchers, each assigned to a particular post. In the recent past I've heard calls from the Gainesville, Toccoa, Hartwell, Hiawassee, Amicalola, & Morganton All with different dispatchers, all within several minutes of each other.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I haven't changed any programming since I noticed this problem. I haven't heard a single GSP transmission from any post tonight. I realize they have hotspots in their cars but I usually hear a few calls a night.

What you state about all of Troup B being dispatched out of Gainesville may be true, if so they must have a room full of dispatchers, each assigned to a particular post. In the recent past I've heard calls from the Gainesville, Toccoa, Hartwell, Hiawassee, Amicalola, & Morganton All with different dispatchers, all within several minutes of each other.
GSP is starting to utilize SouthernLinc more and more. I am located in Franklin County and SouthernLinc has antennas on our towers as well as neighboring counties. It will only go more in this direction until all public safety is on LTE networks. LTE is encrypted and cannot be scanned by any means. It is also highly protected legally. Also something to keep in mind is troopers normally only get dispatched by their own dispatchers for accidents or reckless drivers. Other than that they usually stay on the frequency of whatever county that they are in and assist those counties or do their own thing.

twotoejoe

" Other than that they usually stay on the frequency of whatever county that they are in and assist those counties or do their own thing. "

Not so here in Habersham. My best friend is LEO and they cannot talk directly to a GSP unit. They have to go through Dispatch and Dispatch calls the GSP station via landline.

The Southern Linc thing makes sense. I rarely get any transmissions out of GSP Toccoa or GSP Hartwell anymore. The most I'm getting now is out of Blue Ridge.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
" Other than that they usually stay on the frequency of whatever county that they are in and assist those counties or do their own thing. "

Not so here in Habersham. My best friend is LEO and they cannot talk directly to a GSP unit. They have to go through Dispatch and Dispatch calls the GSP station via landline.

The Southern Linc thing makes sense. I rarely get any transmissions out of GSP Toccoa or GSP Hartwell anymore. The most I'm getting now is out of Blue Ridge.
Habersham is due to them being on their proprietary MotoTRBO system. GSP and other state agencies use APX radios which work on P25 and analog only. Once Habersham makes their switch to P25 they will get that ability back. Hart County which is about 2 counties southeast of you is on a MotoTRBO system as well but they have patched in their old analog fire and SO channels to the digital system which allows other agencies such as GSP to talk to them direct. It shocks me that Habersham doesn't utilize VLAW or VTAC channels to talk to GSP

twotoejoe

Habersham is in talks of a new radio system, several million dollars worth. I haven't found anyone who knows anything about it yet (LEO's have no idea). Trying to meet up with the Public Safety Director to see if he can answer my questions. I've been thinking about a new SDS 200 but if they are going the big 'E', then it's a waste of money.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
Habersham is in talks of a new radio system, several million dollars worth. I haven't found anyone who knows anything about it yet (LEO's have no idea). Trying to meet up with the Public Safety Director to see if he can answer my questions. I've been thinking about a new SDS 200 but if they are going the big 'E', then it's a waste of money.
Check this thread for Habersham info. I personally spoke with the BOC Chairman for Habersham and I was told it was going to be a 800MHz P25 system but some digging by other members found that nothing has really been decided yet. The funding of $7.2 million has been allocated and approved to go towards a new system and a simulcast system can be acquired for that. Check out the county website for the video of Tusa Consulting's presentation to the BOC. Lots of info on what they are considering. Encryption wasn't even discussed and officer safety/security seemed to not even be a concern. The biggest reasons they have discussed is lack of coverage as well as Con+ being end of life with mother /\/\.... same exact reasons as Jackson County.

DanRollman

Database Admin
The funding of $7.2 million has been allocated and approved to go towards a new system and a simulcast system can be acquired for that.

Again, no such funding has been approved. In November, voters will decide whether to approve a SPLOST, a portion of which would fund a new radio system IF voters approve it. That approval is anything but guaranteed, especially in the current economic environment.

twotoejoe

Check this thread for Habersham info. I personally spoke with the BOC Chairman for Habersham and I was told it was going to be a 800MHz P25 system but some digging by other members found that nothing has really been decided yet. The funding of $7.2 million has been allocated and approved to go towards a new system and a simulcast system can be acquired for that. Check out the county website for the video of Tusa Consulting's presentation to the BOC. Lots of info on what they are considering. Encryption wasn't even discussed and officer safety/security seemed to not even be a concern. The biggest reasons they have discussed is lack of coverage as well as Con+ being end of life with mother /\/\.... same exact reasons as Jackson County.

Yes, I'm aware of the meeting with Tusa, etc. My concern is that the Public Service Director mentioned 'piggy backing' (whatever that means) off the Hall County system, and Hall County LEO freq's are encrypted. Their Fire & EMS is not, but LEO is. When I see him out I'll try to get some details.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Here in South Georgia, the state P25 repeaters have a lot of traffic on them. I never hear GSP or DNR on the local systems here and one of those is a VHF analog system that GSP or DNR can access. I hear them mostly on their P25 repeaters or on the car to car freq.

twotoejoe

Here in South Georgia, the state P25 repeaters have a lot of traffic on them. I never hear GSP or DNR on the local systems here and one of those is a VHF analog system that GSP or DNR can access. I hear them mostly on their P25 repeaters or on the car to car freq.

As I have stated, hardly any traffic on the P25 system. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard a single GSP transmission in over 2 days!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
You sure you got the right frequencies (Output) on them? Take the NAC off, make sure it is on digital, etc. GSP extensively uses their P25 radio stations a lot. But if you like hearing tags being run, wrecks being dispatched, or MCCD stopping pickup trucks hauling a lawnmower on a trailer, then go for it.
If you are trying to listen to a particular site / area, what is it? Something may have changed. We are all pretty much aware that the database here is not 100% accurate.

twotoejoe

You sure you got the right frequencies (Output) on them? Take the NAC off, make sure it is on digital, etc. GSP extensively uses their P25 radio stations a lot. But if you like hearing tags being run, wrecks being dispatched, or MCCD stopping pickup trucks hauling a lawnmower on a trailer, then go for it.
If you are trying to listen to a particular site / area, what is it? Something may have changed. We are all pretty much aware that the database here is not 100% accurate.
I've got Troops A thru I plus the Statewide site programmed in per RR. I have been receiving traffic on my 536 in my truck, but I haven't heard a
GSP transmission in 2 days on my new SDS 200. It seems that the 200 doesn't receive quite as well as the 536, but that's another story.

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I am confused. Are you having scanner issues or do you think GSP isn't using the same system as noted in the database?

twotoejoe

I sat the 200 and 536 side by on the telescopic antennas, programmed identical with the identical settings and Favorites thru Sentinel. I'm picking some GSP traffic on the 536 but NONE on the 200. I'm about to pull my hair out!

will51792

Premium Subscriber
I sat the 200 and 536 side by on the telescopic antennas, programmed identical with the identical settings and Favorites thru Sentinel. I'm picking some GSP traffic on the 536 but NONE on the 200. I'm about to pull my hair out!
If you are in Clarksville go to Broadcastify and listen to the GSP freq. .It scans North Ga. This maybe can help to tell when you're suppose to pick them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.