NE Ohio CAP is Active (11:00am Local Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8WLZ

Just to let everyone know that the CAP is active. Bush is in Cleveland and Cheney is in Akron today. The usual NORAD freqs are the ones that I am seeing the most (260.9 and 228.9). Both are in AM...

D

DaveNF2G

I have never heard of the Civil Air Patrol using UHF frequencies. Are you sure it's them?
What callsigns are you hearing?

KC8WLZ

DaveNF2G said:
I have never heard of the Civil Air Patrol using UHF frequencies. Are you sure it's them?

In this context CAP actually stands for Combat Air Patrol where fighters are patrolling the skies around where Bush and Cheney are located...

D

DaveNF2G

That makes sense. I guess we need to be careful of lingo, even in the context where an acronym might have more than one meaning to the same people.

KC8WLZ

DaveNF2G said:

I forgot to respond to your other question. Callsign of Huntress is a NORAD callsign. Others were Chevy, Quarterback and there may have been a Arrow or Aero call that was tough to make out...

CLB

DaveNF2G said:

Bump. (Sorry haha)

We use the new Icom ISR's that the Marines use for short range comms within their own units. I have about 15 of them that I dole out to key people in my SQ, and apparently there's word that eventually everyone that joins up is going to be issued one of these. Kind of a perk of signing away a year or three or your time. Generally, we use them as sort of a FRS at airshows, training exercises etc...

So yes, we do technically have UHF frequencies, but you're not likely to hear them unless someone is TX'ing within a mile of your location.

Chief71

KC8WLZ said:
I forgot to respond to your other question. Callsign of Huntress is a NORAD callsign. Others were Chevy, Quarterback and there may have been a Arrow or Aero call that was tough to make out...

Chevy are F-16s from Selfridge ANGB in Michigan and Quarterback is heir base ops at Selfridge. Be sure to tune into Cleveland Center, they had good information during the Superbowl CAP. What a coincidence, I just picked up Chevy and Demon enroute back to Selfridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.