Near-Field-Communications (NFC)

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
[I looked for a thread that lists suggestions for additions of features we’d like to see in future scanners. I saw it before but couldn’t find it for this post.] When searching for a hotspot on my smart phone to connect to the internet I noticed a notation relating to “pairing” with another smart phone that has you listed in their phone. The phones use something called NFC, which is short for near-field communication, a technology that allows devices like phones and smartwatches to exchange small bits of data…

I attend airshows regularly and always monitor the comms. Like-minded scanner enthusiasts tend to congregate and exchange active frequencies and show info. This leads to some asking for frequency lists, something I try to remember to bring with me. I will run off 20 copies and hand them out to those who inquire. (When one sees you handing out the list they all want one!) But wouldn’t it be nice if we had the ability to “port” our files to another without having our laptops with us? Instead, use NFC to load a particular file or frequency into the scanner simply by being in close proximity to another NFC capable scanner?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or, Bluetooth pairing.
A number of LMR radios now have this, and it can be used for audio interface and/or programming. Adding Bluetooth to scanners would be useful for those that want to listen on the sly, or play through their vehicle.

Bluetooth cloning wouldn't be difficult. And it would be higher speed than NFC.

Should be interesting to see what new scanners come with.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good… I just like the idea of getting close to another like-minded scanner that would allow for a bank or a Favorites List (FL) to get downloaded into a specified bank or create another FL on the fly. Much like NFC does now with smart phones…

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds good… I just like the idea of getting close to another like-minded scanner that would allow for a bank or a Favorites List (FL) to get downloaded into a specified bank or create another FL on the fly. Much like NFC does now with smart phones…
My phone has NFC, and I've never used it. On the other hand, bluetooth gets used frequently.

I think it's a good idea, though. Like I said, most modern LMR radios have bluetooth programming. Adding some sort of wireless programming/cloning capability to a new scanner model would be easy enough to do.

I'm just curious how scanner manufacturers are going to develop the next great thing, when there hasn't been much change in the industry since P25 Phase 2 was added to scanners. They've got to find something that will get people to dump their current scanners and buy a new one.
Looking at the LMR industry, there are not a lot of logical options, other than your suggestion of wireless programming/cloning.

But, I was still running a 1990's era scanner up until a week ago, so by no means knowledgeable about where the product lines will go.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
NFC in phones used primarily for tap to pay like in using Google Pay, Samsung Pay and Apple Pay.

prokrypt

NFC is too slow and unreliable for large data transfer. When you use your phone NFC to transfer data (other than simple text/urls or contact info) it uses bluetooth or wifi to do the actual transfer.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
You could always ask for their email address and email them the list. Allowing "anyone" to connect to your phone via Bluetooth or NFC has serious security issues and in my mind.. A terrible idea.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
You could always ask for their email address and email them the list. Allowing "anyone" to connect to your phone via Bluetooth or NFC has serious security issues and in my mind.. A terrible idea.
I understand and agree with you. On the other side of the coin, the NFC comes standard, as do WiFi and BT. But in order to do a transfer each phone must have the other party’s contact info already on board. And then, I believe both party’s are first asked if they want to participate. (I suspect you are referring to a transfer that HAS been agreed to by both party’s and their phones may be susceptible to intrusions while the transfer is in progress.) There’s also one other piece of “White Hat, Black Hat” skullduggery afoot… those in the know can hack a phone even if the phone didn’t come with Bluetooth, WiFi or NFC, although some methods may take advantage of those features singularly or in some combination. As for me, I trust nothing after attending a Penetration Testing seminar. (For those who don’t know what this pen testing is all about, the following; It’s simply someone testing if they can penetrate the security measures and report their findings in order to keep the computer programming secure.) I watched as a couple of personal bank accounts chosen at random, from the audience had money withdrawn using the internet without any information other than the account owners name and the name of the bank. It was just for demo purposes and only $5 was withdrawn but it’s a real thing, being done all the time. (Usually this will happen because the bank doesn’t sign up for the latest updates of the programs they use. I guess they don’t want the pay the maintenance fee! Those missed updates include upgraded security measures. The seminar spokesman said the only bank he is aware of that couldnt be hacked at the time and in the manner he used for the demo was the Bank of America… and that was because they did their due diligence when doing all the updates. Our phones usually do automatic updates but that doesn’t mean much when asked the question “Are they secure?” The answer to that is both yes and no, depending on who you ask! No need to elaborate on yes and no because the minute we learn the answer is both, that means overall, the answer is a firm no… and those who are being hacked either don’t realize we are being hacked or are too embarrassed to admit it. So there is no solid projection of how many of us are affected but there are estimates ranging anywhere between 20% and 80%. Myself, I’m playing the odds… I haven’t noticed any problems on my phone and I like the convenience of on-line banking, but I do keep those accounts that can be accessed via on-line to small amounts, the rest I’ve got buried in an old coffee can in
NFC is too slow and unreliable for large data transfer. When you use your phone NFC to transfer data (other than simple text/urls or contact info) it uses bluetooth or wifi to do the actual transfer.
a backyard other than mine!

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for listing the constraints regarding NFC. I did not realize it uses Bt or WiFi to do this either.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Tru
I understand and agree with you. On the other side of the coin, the NFC comes standard, as do WiFi and BT. But in order to do a transfer each phone must have the other party’s contact info already on board. And then, I believe both party’s are first asked if they want to participate. (I suspect you are referring to a transfer that HAS been agreed to by both party’s and their phones may be susceptible to intrusions while the transfer is in progress.) There’s also one other piece of “White Hat, Black Hat” skullduggery afoot… those in the know can hack a phone even if the phone didn’t come with Bluetooth, WiFi or NFC, although some methods may take advantage of those features singularly or in some combination. As for me, I trust nothing after attending a Penetration Testing seminar. (For those who don’t know what this pen testing is all about, the following; It’s simply someone testing if they can penetrate the security measures and report their findings in order to keep the computer programming secure.) I watched as a couple of personal bank accounts chosen at random, from the audience had money withdrawn using the internet without any information other than the account owners name and the name of the bank. It was just for demo purposes and only $5 was withdrawn but it’s a real thing, being done all the time. (Usually this will happen because the bank doesn’t sign up for the latest updates of the programs they use. I guess they don’t want the pay the maintenance fee! Those missed updates include upgraded security measures. The seminar spokesman said the only bank he is aware of that couldnt be hacked at the time and in the manner he used for the demo was the Bank of America… and that was because they did their due diligence when doing all the updates. Our phones usually do automatic updates but that doesn’t mean much when asked the question “Are they secure?” The answer to that is both yes and no, depending on who you ask! No need to elaborate on yes and no because the minute we learn the answer is both, that means overall, the answer is a firm no… and those who are being hacked either don’t realize we are being hacked or are too embarrassed to admit it. So there is no solid projection of how many of us are affected but there are estimates ranging anywhere between 20% and 80%. Myself, I’m playing the odds… I haven’t noticed any problems on my phone and I like the convenience of on-line banking, but I do keep those accounts that can be accessed via on-line to small amounts, the rest I’ve got buried in an old coffee can in
a backyard other than mine!
Trusting nothing and verifying everything I can is my "mantra". I worked as a cop for 26 years and then the next 14 years as a systems and database administor for UNIX Oracle and Sybase systems for a video conferencing company that became British Telecom VideoConferencing.

It's amazing what some folks will do to try to hack a system.

blackbelter

[I looked for a thread that lists suggestions for additions of features we’d like to see in future scanners. I saw it before but couldn’t find it for this post.] When searching for a hotspot on my smart phone to connect to the internet I noticed a notation relating to “pairing” with another smart phone that has you listed in their phone. The phones use something called NFC, which is short for near-field communication, a technology that allows devices like phones and smartwatches to exchange small bits of data…

I attend airshows regularly and always monitor the comms. Like-minded scanner enthusiasts tend to congregate and exchange active frequencies and show info. This leads to some asking for frequency lists, something I try to remember to bring with me. I will run off 20 copies and hand them out to those who inquire. (When one sees you handing out the list they all want one!) But wouldn’t it be nice if we had the ability to “port” our files to another without having our laptops with us? Instead, use NFC to load a particular file or frequency into the scanner simply by being in close proximity to another NFC capable scanner?
While I realize that you suggestions is around the scanner enhancement, I would suggest to copy your frequency files on your IOS or Android devices and use the Airdrop or file sharing process already built into your mobile devices . NFC and OTA are painfully slow . Consumer grade scanners don’t even have the 22 year old BT feature .

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I'd settle for being able to program my scanner using my phone and an app instead of a clunky PC...if we ever see a new model scanner again.