need 536hp bnc connector please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitbr

Can someone please tell me what the connector type is on the bnc pigtale that connects to the pc board on the 536hp.
I would like to put a better quality bnc connector as the one on my radio is failing..
Thanks for any help.
Tim

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Can someone please tell me what the connector type is on the bnc pigtale that connects to the pc board on the 536hp.
I would like to put a better quality bnc connector as the one on my radio is failing..
Thanks for any help.
Tim

Why not replace the BNC, and transfer the current lead to the new connector? Or is the failure inside the cabinet, not just the BNC?

Sent via Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
If it is still under warranty send it back. If you should try it and cause more damage, your _ucked .

mitbr

Why not replace the BNC, and transfer the current lead to the new connector? Or is the failure inside the cabinet, not just the BNC?

Sent via Tapatalk

I'm good with the soldering iron feel comfortable changing it is only the bulkhead that has failed what's the best way to remove the shrink-wrap?
Thanks for any help

lost_in_maine

Thanks for any help.
Tim
What made you think that this is the problem? any testing done? little confused....

mitbr

What made you think that this is the problem? any testing done? little confused....

The female pin on the bnc bulkhead has worn. Currently I am stuffing small amounts of foil in the pin and so far it is working ok. I am using this method to fix the problem until the unit is out of warranty.
When the gap becomes too loose the reception becomes intermittent or stops all together .

I don't want to send it in for repairs I want to put a better quality bnc on the unit.

Thanks for the reply!
Tim

lost_in_maine

The female pin on the bnc bulkhead has worn. Currently I am stuffing small amounts of foil in the pin and so far it is working ok. I am using this method to fix the problem until the unit is out of warranty.
When the gap becomes too loose the reception becomes intermittent or stops all together .

I don't want to send it in for repairs I want to put a better quality bnc on the unit.

Thanks for the reply!
Tim

Do you change antenna's frequently like going base to mobile, etc...I take mine out on occasion....just checked mine, looked fine, but only owned it 6 weeks...

mitbr

Do you change antenna's frequently like going base to mobile, etc...I take mine out on occasion....just checked mine, looked fine, but only owned it 6 weeks...

Yes I do change antennas pretty well every day.
When I use the 536hp at the bedside I use the RS portable ant. when in the living room I use and outdoor 800 MHz yagi.

It is possible the bnc on my radio was faulty from the beginning but looking at it it appears to be a very cheap one so I'm not so sure.

For anyone reading this thread... if your reception seems to get intermittent or stop check the bnc connector.

You can do this by putting the scanner on a steady signal like noaa wx broadcast using the RS rubber 800 MHz ant swivel it on point, if the audio makes a crackling sound while you move it or the audio and signal cuts out your bnc connector is failing.

You can fix this by taking some foil a very small piece roll it in you fingers making a small cigar shape and placing it into the bcn female connector using needle nose pliers and jewelry screwdriver put the RS ant back on the radio if you swivel it on point and the crackling disappears you have fixed the problem and have confirmed the problem was the widening connector.

Don't assume that the poor reception is always the ant or location of the radio because as I found out it ended up being the cheap bnc connector.

I hope this helps anyone else who may experience this problem.
Tim

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Constantly plugging and unplugging any connector will eventually wear it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.