Need a AVI Converter Program (freeware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Hello to everyone, I have a question for the people on the forum who no about video converters. I am looking for a Freeware video converter not a (commercial product) I have some Avi files I want to put onto a DVD disk and want to convert them to .mpg or something else so I can get more files onto the DVD. I tried a couple of programs but it takes at least an hour to convert one movies onto the DVD Disk, What I'm looking for is a fast Freeware avi CONVERTER program so I can make a few DVD Disks but it seem to take so long to convert these files, ans suggestions on any freeware fast programs out there.
TIA,
Steve

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I can tell you that even expensive commercial converters are slow at this. I like to collect anime for my kids and burn it to DVD when I have enough episodes to fill a disk - to burn one DVD requires 8-12GB of free disk space (depending on the size of the AVI file) and at least 3 or 4 hours. I've found it's better to just hook the PC up to the TV and watch them that way.

-AZ

fishmanasc

AZScanner said:
I can tell you that even expensive commercial converters are slow at this. I like to collect anime for my kids and burn it to DVD when I have enough episodes to fill a disk - to burn one DVD requires 8-12GB of free disk space (depending on the size of the AVI file) and at least 3 or 4 hours. I've found it's better to just hook the PC up to the TV and watch them that way.

-AZ
I agree, even if you have a very fast computer this will take some time as you are compressing the video.

D

DaveNF2G

If you just want to store AVI files on a DVD, format it as a very large CD and then just copy or move the files over.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Converter

:wink: Thanks everyone for the information on converting the .avi files I'll try out the converters and other information that was passed on.
Steve

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
AVI is your best format for saving in a small size. You can always reencode with a slower bitrate if you want the file smaller. XviD(free) or DivX(pay) codecs are the best to use.

Mpeg will only inflate the size and/or ruin the quality.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
converter

wayne_h said:
AVI is your best format for saving in a small size. You can always reencode with a slower bitrate if you want the file smaller. XviD(free) or DivX(pay) codecs are the best to use.

Mpeg will only inflate the size and/or ruin the quality.
Hi Wayne I have some home Avi Files I would like to share with my other family members and be able to put these .avi files on DVD Disks so they can view them on there own DVD Players.
Steve

cpuerror

ibagli said:
Erightsoft Super. It's probably the best media conversion program I've ever found, and it's free. Unfortunately, their site looks like it was made by a 12 year old.

http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

The download is at the bottom of that page. It took me a while to find it.
I cannot for the life of me find the actual download link. I can see there are links going to about 8 million useless things I don't care about, but the actual link to say download the program eludes me. Since you have apparently found it, can you post the direct link?

EDIT: Never mind I finally found it. Had to use IE.

http://www.erightsoft.biz/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I will have to see what I downloaded last summer, my G/F (at the time) took a home video with her digital camera that saved it as an AVI, I converted it to an ISO and burned it that way (since I burn so many ISOs anyway). I will post this weekend what it is, just can't remember right now.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Link

cpuerror said:
I cannot for the life of me find the actual download link. I can see there are links going to about 8 million useless things I don't care about, but the actual link to say download the program eludes me. Since you have apparently found it, can you post the direct link?

EDIT: Never mind I finally found it. Had to use IE.

http://www.erightsoft.biz/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe
Try this link,
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
Steve
I have not downloaded the program yet but I will be trying the program .
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.