• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

need a lil help maybe some one can help me here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman846

ok first off im not repet not asking for software! i want to learn how to program my astro spectra and use it for rx'ing. i bought it to use for my fire dept but the switched to rebanding the next month before i can do anything. there are still somethings that are old school radio (non digital) what is the best way or where do i go any help please i really what to do this thanks

SCPD

QRT
I take you are talking about a trucking system. In order to program it you will need a system key, valid radio ID for the trunking system and for rebanding the proper firmware and software that supports rebanding.
I wouldn't do this with a mobile. Too easy to select a trunking channel and affiliate with the system. If you do affiliate with the system and you don't have a proper radio ID kiss your radio good bye and say hi to your new paper weight.
In other words get a scanner.

fireman846

lol wow ok i have a scanner and looking at a new one i was just wanting to give this a try. reband on this radio is not nessasary. we do still have some conventional radios around that i was looking at trying. all that info radio keys and and stuff if some one could tell me what i need to do to find that ill take a risk to try i know i need to go to the big M to get software but everything else is what i want to know

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Contact your system administrator....if your a novice at this, which it seems that you are, you can severly affect the operation of the system or might end up with a brick when it gets inhibitied.

Here is another bit of advice, go get a second scanner.

n5ims

First and formost, talk to the radio system administor for the system you need programmed. Chances are fair that they already have the software, etc. to program your radio. You'll need to get their permission no matter what anyway, so you might as well do it right from the start. If they say yes, they'll probably take care of things right. If they say no, accept their "No" and just sell the radio on e-bay and use a scanner.

The advantages doing this are huge. First, you'll be an authorized user (assuming they say yes) and as legal as you can get. You will also have assurance that the radio is programmed correctly and if not, they'll know it wasn't your fault and help correct things for you.

If you do it yourself (especially if they say no), you'll be in big trouble and at the least have a good chance of getting your radio "bricked" so even selling it on e-bay is out. You'll also have a good chance of being removed from the fire department as well as possible large fines from the FCC and legal problems with your local police. Neither organization take lightly the use of unauthorized transmissions on public safety frequencies.

See this thread for proof that the FCC does go after folks that program radios with the ability to transmit on frequencies they're not legally authorized to operate on (and this was due to an expired license that the radio shop didn't know had expired). http://forums.radioreference.com/industry-discussion/166582-fcc-wants-fine-radio-shop.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.