Need A Little Guidance: Putting Up A Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Hey All,

So I'm frustrated. If you look at the Union County, NJ live audio feeds you'll notice something. There is no true Union County public safety feed. Sure, there's feeds for parts of the county, but not one for Union County as a whole. The closest any of them come also include several other counties and/or parts of NYC.

I have a desire to correct this oversight. I have a computer I can dedicate to it, I have a BCT-15X to provide the audio, a solid DSL connection (I know cable would probably be better), and a damn good antenna to haul it in. So the question is...what else do I need/need to do to get a feed up on RadioReference?

Also what's the preferable way to pipe the audio into the computer? Speaker-out to line in?

ak4fn

Monoprice

If you want to save some money I suggest you look at monoprice for your Cables, Ground Loop Isolator and Data cable.
4 Channel Ground Loop Isolator | Isolator
10ft Null Modem DB9 F/F Molded Cable | PC Serial Null Modem Cables For Data tags and programming
6ft 3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Plug Cable - Black | 3.5mm & RCA Audio Cables Ground Loop Isolator to computer or scanner
6inch 3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Jack Cable - Black | 3.5mm & RCA Audio Cables other side of Ground Loop Isolator
I believe this is all you need but double check everything!

Make sure to read the links that datainmotion mentioned
I hope this helps

I have no affiliation with monoprice, they just have great prices and great service.

KD8PVX

All good info above! I personally have DSL, but to be honest I bet a modem connected 24/7 would work. The size of the audio packets are very small.

My personal setup is a radio shack pro-2006 / the tape out (RCA) / connected to audio in / on an old pentium 266MHz laptop / running Ubuntu Linux / which utilizes darkice to broadcast to RReference.

Don't think this is the only way to do it. There are multiple different setups.

- William KD8PVX

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

jasonk

Feed Provider
Thanks for the links to Monoprice .....I just bought 3 Ground Loop Setups for all my feeds - less than $30 total ....Good Stuff.

Jason

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Cool. Thanks guys. I'm seriously wanting to do this. It'd be great not just for the scanning community, but also for my fellow emergency responders in the area. It'd be good to have a feed of our own for Union County only...and all of it.

ak4fn

Thanks for the links to Monoprice .....I just bought 3 Ground Loop Setups for all my feeds - less than $30 total ....Good Stuff.

Jason
Hey, no problem!

You can also salvage a audio transformer off a old dialup modem, they work great for a ground loop isolator! But at 7.62+ shipping it is hardly worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.