Need a little help regarding Shasta County Police and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodshooter

Hi, I'm currently using a Uniden BC92XLT handheld Scanner for my photojournalism work in Shasta County.
I'm hitting a roadblock however in that I've programmed in all the freqs found on this site, and a few others, but I can sit at home and listen on my computer to the radio traffic (mostly police), but I can't pick them up on my handheld. My work requires me to travel to the scene of a lots of fires and police action to document it. Anyone know how I can get those freqs that I can hear on RadioReference.com , but I can't pick up on the handheld?
Thanks for any help!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean Redding?

Need a little help regarding Shasta County Police and Fire
Surely you don't mean that literally. Shasta County would have a Sheriff, not police. The fire is largely handled by Cal Fire. Believe it or not, I am able to pick up Shasta county sheriff from here in my location in Sacramento county, so I can't imagine you'd have a problem with that there.

Hi, I'm currently using a Uniden BC92XLT handheld Scanner for my photojournalism work in Shasta County.
Perhaps you are interested in Redding Police. They are on 800MHz frequencies, which the scanner receives, but they are using a Trunked Radio System. That scanner can not trunk track such a system. You need a more modern scanner.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Another issue important to mobile scanning is the antenna, and antenna placemen. The antenna section (here in RR) is a great place to get an idea as to some limitations and advantages in this subject.

Setting a scanner on the seat while entoute will greatly reduce some receptions, particularly on the 700 and 800 frequency range when distance is increased Placing the hand scanner where it's self contained antenna pops above the dash increases reception (more windows = more better / less metal). Placing the antenna, particularly a higher gain antenna will give you close to the result that you have at home. This last option will allow you to hear the tac (on scene) simplex traffic from a great distance.

Gmclam is spot on in the trunking issue, just wanted to give you some more food for thought or is that fuel for funding when asking the editor for buying that improved field listening post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.