Need a lot more range

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACDCROCKER

Hi all.
I currently have a uniden 142xl and a Radio Shack Pro 76. I would like to get 30 more miles into range (is this too much?). If it can be easly be move, that would be great. What kind of antenna and brand should I be looking for and how much will it cost? I use my radios for railfanning.
thank-you

LarrySC

I would suggest an antenna cut exactly for the freqs you need. Also the ant must have GAIN. A 1/4wave 15" whip on the roof would not be enough. Look at the WNC at this site: www.bncantenna.com The ant can be mounted on a base adaptor and use RG-6 coax.

Al42

To get a 30 mile horizon you'll need an antenna height of about 700 feet. (Distance in miles = (square root of the height in feet) times 1.17) That's to a spot on the ground 30 miles away. If the transmitting antenna is 350 feet above mean ground level, your antenna can also be 350 feet high - the combined horizons will be around 30 miles. (Depending on frequency, you can receive some signals that are below the horizon, but the higher the frequency, the less likely that is.)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Rocker and all,

Lots of variables, no specific answer. The best I can do is a high gain antenna tuned for 161MHz such as the Cushcraft Ringo Ranger ARX-2 (I think) or Traintenna mounted as high as you can get it. The Cush comes with a chart that gives the dimensions to adjust it's frequency and setting the gamma rod midway along the ring is pretty good dead reconing. The SWR (impedance match) can be adjusted using an antenna analyzer borrowed from a local ham. Check out a club, ask around and maybe you'd like to join if you're REALLY interested in radio and learning more about it. BTW, New Jersey Transit uses Cushcrafts along the RoW.

Oh Al, here we go again. I can work LI VHF and UHF repeaters DFQ and none have antennas 700' in the air and niether do I, it must be magic. The path is eh, about 30 miles from me to you, right? Get on 146.910 PL 127.3 an say hi ta Rocky, see? Yeah, see? You'll recognize him, he talks like Little Caesar. Yeah, Rocky, see? Yeah. Now stop distracting me, I'm trying to watch the Yankees kick Philly butt. Yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.