Need a new base scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skywaves

I am looking to purchase a good scanner, that will cover all the services in
the vicinity of Frederick county, I am located in the city of Frederick, MD.
Want all digital formats to decode for this surrounding area.

Skywaves

Need new base scanner

I am looking to buy a new scanner, the Uniden looks like the best choice,
any ideas for the Frederick, MD area? can you recommend a model that
gives all the needed, digital decode options?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps someone more local can chime in, but for now take a look at Phase II digital scanners. Here are some examples: Digital P25 Phase II Scanners . Any of which would work in your area.

In Frederick, you can get buy with a Phase I scanner. However, Maryland State Police and other state agencies are using a Phase 2 system. Phase 2 digital scanners are the latest digital technology.

No matter which you choose, there is a learning curve if you are not familiar with the scanner. But like anything else, with some effort you'll learn it.

krbvroc1

All of the Frederick City police are encrypted so you cannot listen to them. I do not find much traffic on Maryland State Police Barracks B. I believe all other barracks are encrypted on Phase 2 FIRST system. I am using a small dedicated computer running Linux with software to decode. You could use a Windows machine to decode Phase 1 however. Depending on your computer technical level you could try that route. From what I have read most scanners do a poor job of decoding P25 simulcast systems like we have in Frederick County. The computer/software solution does a good job of it. There is a forum here for Software Defined Radio that has more info.

Maryland has a statewide system called 'FIRST' which is Phase 2, but it is not at all active in Frederick. But that could change in the next year or two.

Last edited:

cbs1971

I use a bcd436hp and receive most counties in area. Frederick city is encrypted but state is not. I can get Montgomery,Howard,and louden. I cannot get carroll, but because of directionality, the scanner does receive it when inside county. hope this helps with your decision

boatbod

All of the Frederick City police are encrypted so you cannot listen to them. I do not find much traffic on Maryland State Police Barracks B. I believe all other barracks are encrypted on Phase 2 FIRST system. I am using a small dedicated computer running Linux with software to decode. You could use a Windows machine to decode Phase 1 however. Depending on your computer technical level you could try that route. From what I have read most scanners do a poor job of decoding P25 simulcast systems like we have in Frederick County. The computer/software solution does a good job of it. There is a forum here for Software Defined Radio that has more info.

Maryland has a statewide system called 'FIRST' which is Phase 2, but it is not at all active in Frederick. But that could change in the next year or two.

I do not think that all the MSP barracks are encrypted on FiRST. I know for a fact that MSP-I (Easton) is not encrypted on their regular dispatch channel. Tac channels may or may not be encrypted.

On the flip side of the encryption coin, most of MD DNR traffic is encrypted.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I do not think that all the MSP barracks are encrypted on FiRST. I know for a fact that MSP-I (Easton) is not encrypted on their regular dispatch channel. Tac channels may or may not be encrypted.

On the flip side of the encryption coin, most of MD DNR traffic is encrypted.

All Barrack Dispatch Channels are in the clear. Each Barrack has a Tac Channel and CID Channel. All Barrack Tac and CID Channels statewide are encrypted. There are various other MSP tac channels, special ops, etc. are both in the clear and encrypted.

During Spring, NRP unencrypted their dispatch talkgroups and they are in the clear. They have various tac channels that are encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.