Need a new NMO Mount Antenna for listening to OPP, high gain, ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

So i woke up this morning to find someone had stolen the antenna off the car, was just a low profile NMO mount antenna, forget the model, but anyways, because of the whole low profile the gain on it was pretty crap. I got pretty good signal most of the time, but i know i could have done better going up to the next length. Anyways, Durham Radio is just down the road so i wanted to see what other people are using for NMO antennas for that bandwidth, i dont want to go with something too huge, but i am willing to go a little bigger if i can get some decent gain improvements.

Let me know what experiences you guys have had.

gary123

I have used Larsen 5/8 2 meter antennas with exellent results. For a scanner there would be no need to trim the whip.(49in is the stock leanth)

hitsfm

nmo

i use quarter wave less intermod than high gain have fun with those long whips

SuperTex

Antennas

Just going from my days as a hack operator you can't get better than going bigger and higher. I used the Antenex Hi Gain antennas for years and I loved them. I cut them for the proper freq (there's a guide included with the antenna) and instantly picked up huge range increase. I used Caravans and put the whips on the roof just in front of the roof rack. I think they're about $60 from Omni in Newmarket.

MetalCarnage

I have used Larsen 5/8 2 meter antennas with exellent results. For a scanner there would be no need to trim the whip.(49in is the stock leanth)

Well, after taking a look in store, i went with your method and got the coil for 144mhz (3db) and a Larsen whip. At first i didn't want to go this route because the length is a little on the long side, but when i saw it and took a look at it on the car it didn't look as gawky as i thought it would. The car is charcoal grey, so it actually blends in with the black gloss antenna a bit.

Anyways, didn't trim the whip and just put it on straight, and wow was i instantly impressed, from whitby i was picking up the King City tower at 2 bars, which the closest i have ever been able to pick up with the old antenna was basically at 401/DVP. Its going to make a night and day difference now when i am on the road if the signal strength stays that strong. Kinda wish i went with a regular 5/8 antenna instead of the smaller "stealthy" 1/4 antenna i had before, its very worth it :)

Super pleased now

A guy at the store was looking to offload 4 250D's and was wondering how much he could get for them, that made me chuckle too

mrweather

A basic Larsen 5/8 whip will probably give the best overall performance. And it can stand way more abuse than the higher gain Diamond and Comet models.

I use a Larsen 1/2 wave antenna (NMO150HW) for 2m and it also works for Fleetnet. It's about 10" shorter than the 5/8 which is better for overhead clearance and the reduction in gain is less than a dB compared to the 5/8. I can live with that compromise.

MetalCarnage

A basic Larsen 5/8 whip will probably give the best overall performance. And it can stand way more abuse than the higher gain Diamond and Comet models.

I use a Larsen 1/2 wave antenna (NMO150HW) for 2m and it also works for Fleetnet. It's about 10" shorter than the 5/8 which is better for overhead clearance and the reduction in gain is less than a dB compared to the 5/8. I can live with that compromise.

Ya, i dont really have to worry about the overhead clearance, the antenna is mounted on a 06 Grand Prix with a suspension modification that has the car sitting about 3 inches lower.....with the whip on, the tip of the whip is no taller then the roof of your average small SUV, so i shouldnt be hitting anything with it.

unlisted

... the antenna is mounted on a 06 Grand Prix with a suspension modification that has the car sitting about 3 inches lower.....

Hows them speed bumps treating ya? Still got a gas tank attached? lol

You must be dragging that thing around.. How do you manage in the winter with snowbanks?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Get an Sinclabs 1482. Anything else is wasting your money. Trust me on that one. They're the antennas the OPP use. They're very durable, wide band and work better than any other one out there I've ever tried (that's a lot).

hitsfm

I agree

I agree but it also gives my stuff too much intermod I like my q wave better

Command30

I recall somebody stating the Sinclabs were available from a Motorola distributor in Barrie. Anywhere else in the GTA that might have them?

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
You can purchase Sinclabs products from Omni Provincial Electronics Here as Supertex mentioned. I believe you can purchase from Point to Point Communications from Barrie as well.

Last edited:

wyldman

Can I request a photo? Heck, how about your whole setup?

One of these days I should post some photos of my setup. :D

It's pretty much all Motorola. Astro Spectra W9's with remotre heads for OPP, MCS2000 Model III remote heads for Peel,Toronto,Vaughan 800 Mhz stuff, and MCS200's in VHF for Ambulance,MTO,etc.

The remote heads are mounted up in the headliner.

One the roof I've got 5 NMO Sinclabs,a GPS\900 Mhz roof mount,and my Sirius antenna.

Once it gets a little warmer I'll post some nice pics.

MetalCarnage

Hows them speed bumps treating ya? Still got a gas tank attached? lol

You must be dragging that thing around.. How do you manage in the winter with snowbanks?

I live in Toronto, we dont get snowbanks in the winter, just mostly rain, lol.

Look at this year for example, we just had the biggest snowfall of the year and i can already see my lawn, and the car isnt THAT low to the ground, if i wanted to i could still drop it almost another 3 inches, its not lowered to the floor, the only reason its lower is because the suspension is a more sport-oriented suspension then the stock, i didnt do a hack job (cut the springs and replace).

Status
Not open for further replies.