Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys I have a Radio Pro-164 and I need a new antenna for it. I am not listening to any 700mhz frequencies or higher. Theses are the radio frequencies I listen, to I live in El Dorado Hills, up the hill from Sacramento in California. I listen to the CHP 45.36000 Green Base and 42.72000 Green Mobile. I listen to all the El Dorado County Sheriff frequencies including 159.55500 160.69500 159.82500 159.69000 460.21250 155.79000 I also listen to Placerville PD 154.96500 154.75500 I also listen to all of the Cal Fire frequencies which includes Statewide Air Plan Freq. Cal Fire Statewide Command Freq. and Cal Fire Statewide tac freq. Amador El Dorado Union dispatch Amador Command and El Dorado Command. I also listen to all the USFS frequencies. I also listen to most of the California Emergency Services Radio System (CESRS) formally OES radio freq. I was thinking about buying this one right here. http://goo.gl/4y22FS It is the Hustler Antenna with coax cable. Is this a good antenna? I really tight on money so $30 is as high as I would like to go. The freq range that I will be listening to is like 40.00000mhz to like 500.00000mhz. By the way I have a 800mhz antenna right now and it sucks real bad. I can barely get dispatch and other freq and im only like 10 miles away or a little more. Yes I was stupid and did not read that it is made for 800mhz this is the one i have right now. 800MHz Scanner Antenna : Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I was not familiar with this antenna - so did some research. It seems like it would do a good job for you given the bands that you want to receive. Universal Radio has them for $19.95 - cheaper than Amazon by 9 or 10 dollars. If you're going to use it at home, put the magnetic base on something metal. File cabinets etc are great. It needs a ground plane.

The 800Mhz antenna will be worse than the stock antenna that came with the radio if you're not listening to that band. Otherwise, they work pretty well as a single band antenna. I've had one for several years.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Depending upon how you want to use the antenna, you have several options:

Attach directly to scanner:
RadioShack Center-Loading Telescoping Whip Antenna
While this is on Scannermaster's site, you can get these through/at Radio Shack. Adjust the length depending upon which band you listen to the most or need the best signal.

For mobile mounting/use and connected to the antenna (which is what the link your provided shows):
SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC

For exterior mounting at home (as in base configuration):
ST4 Antennacraft Omni Base Antenna

You'll need cable for the above (available at Radio Shack or through Scannermaster).

Over the years I've used all the above with good results.

joeuser

The Wretched
I have & use the Radio Shark center load telescoping whip. 10$ @ RS & worthwhile product (esp. considering its RS) the 800 rubber duckie you have is also very good - just not for your range, as you know. However, its a good antenna (hang onto it). I'd like to add the RS Discone at 70$ is a nice outdoor unit. The ST2 Scantenna is great also.

N8IAA

Hey guys I have a Radio Pro-164 and I need a new antenna for it. I am not listening to any 700mhz frequencies or higher. Theses are the radio frequencies I listen, to I live in El Dorado Hills, up the hill from Sacramento in California. I listen to the CHP 45.36000 Green Base and 42.72000 Green Mobile. I listen to all the El Dorado County Sheriff frequencies including 159.55500 160.69500 159.82500 159.69000 460.21250 155.79000 I also listen to Placerville PD 154.96500 154.75500 I also listen to all of the Cal Fire frequencies which includes Statewide Air Plan Freq. Cal Fire Statewide Command Freq. and Cal Fire Statewide tac freq. Amador El Dorado Union dispatch Amador Command and El Dorado Command. I also listen to all the USFS frequencies. I also listen to most of the California Emergency Services Radio System (CESRS) formally OES radio freq. I was thinking about buying this one right here. Amazon.com: Hustler / New-Tronics Antenna Corp. MRMBNC Magnetic Mount Scanner Antenna with BNC Connector and 12' Coax Cable (1 Each): Electronics It is the Hustler Antenna with coax cable. Is this a good antenna? I really tight on money so $30 is as high as I would like to go. The freq range that I will be listening to is like 40.00000mhz to like 500.00000mhz. By the way I have a 800mhz antenna right now and it sucks real bad. I can barely get dispatch and other freq and im only like 10 miles away or a little more. Yes I was stupid and did not read that it is made for 800mhz this is the one i have right now. 800MHz Scanner Antenna : Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

The antenna on Amazon is a quarter wave on ~150MHz. It will work on the VHF, UHF, and airband frequencies. For the 40MHz stuff, and the rest, may I recommend the RS mag mount multiband antenna. It will work more than adequate on the 40MHz freqs, and a lot better on the VHF/UHF frequencies.
HTH,
Larry

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It is a scanner antenna

It's not a 150Mhz quarter wave, it is a scanner antenna. I had a hard time finding a description, but here is a link from Universal Radio:

Hustler MRM Scanner antenna

As you can see they offer it at a lower price than Amazon.

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
I was not familiar with this antenna - so did some research. It seems like it would do a good job for you given the bands that you want to receive. Universal Radio has them for $19.95 - cheaper than Amazon by 9 or 10 dollars. If you're going to use it at home, put the magnetic base on something metal. File cabinets etc are great. It needs a ground plane.

The 800Mhz antenna will be worse than the stock antenna that came with the radio if you're not listening to that band. Otherwise, they work pretty well as a single band antenna. I've had one for several years.

I have a giant big black metal fireproof gun safe in my room that is extremely magnetic all around on the outside could I put it on top of the safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.