Need A New Scanner What Should I Go For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreycss21

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get a new scanner. I had a uniden trunktracker iii bc246t for years and loved it but most of all my area now has phase two radios. Not sure if I want a handheld one or a base scanner so what are some pros and cons of both? My town is 40 sq miles so not sure if that plays a part in choosing. I'm use to a handheld but normally only listen when I'm in my truck or in my room. Thinking of either the Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld or Uniden's BCD996P2 Phase II capable Digital Base/Mobile.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've gone with the handheld BCD436HP. Its RF guts are essentially identical to the 536, so when connected to a base or vehicle antenna, it performs pretty much identically to the 536. I have RAM mounts in the vehicle and at home, so swapping the scanner from the car to the house to handheld is quick and easy. Unless you need the wi-fi streaming feature of the 536, the 436 will do just as well in a lighter and more compact package, and yo can carry it with you if you want to.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get a new scanner. I had a uniden trunktracker iii bc246t for years and loved it but most of all my area now has phase two radios. Not sure if I want a handheld one or a base scanner so what are some pros and cons of both? My town is 40 sq miles so not sure if that plays a part in choosing. I'm use to a handheld but normally only listen when I'm in my truck or in my room. Thinking of either the Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld or Uniden's BCD996P2 Phase II capable Digital Base/Mobile.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks!
I think you may have gotten some incomplete answer in your other post regarding an antenna. In that one, you said that your town was '40 miles', which implied a distance. In this thread, you have clarified that your town was "40 square miles", which is a different animal altogether.

What area (city or county, and state) are you in? If your town is using a larger regional or statewide system, then one of the scanners with a built in database might be a better fit. Besides the BCD436HP, BCD536HP, & HP-2 mentioned, there are several Whistler models that fill the same bill. The 'database' scanners let you also access systems elsewhere if you travel outside your home area, whether for vacation, business, or visiting relatives. While the BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 would also work, they would have to be specifically programmed for your area, or any others you travel to.

I have the 325P2, and it works well on the P25 Phase II systems here in the DFW Metro area. The handheld (portable) scanners let you use the radio where ever you are, at home, in your vehicle, outside, etc. the handhelds have the added advantage that in the event of an extended power failure, your handheld can keep on working as long as you have extra batteries, or a plug in adapter for your vehicle.

Coreycss21

Premium Subscriber
I think you may have gotten some incomplete answer in your other post regarding an antenna. In that one, you said that your town was '40 miles', which implied a distance. In this thread, you have clarified that your town was "40 square miles", which is a different animal altogether.

What area (city or county, and state) are you in? If your town is using a larger regional or statewide system, then one of the scanners with a built in database might be a better fit. Besides the BCD436HP, BCD536HP, & HP-2 mentioned, there are several Whistler models that fill the same bill. The 'database' scanners let you also access systems elsewhere if you travel outside your home area, whether for vacation, business, or visiting relatives. While the BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 would also work, they would have to be specifically programmed for your area, or any others you travel to.

I have the 325P2, and it works well on the P25 Phase II systems here in the DFW Metro area. The handheld (portable) scanners let you use the radio where ever you are, at home, in your vehicle, outside, etc. the handhelds have the added advantage that in the event of an extended power failure, your handheld can keep on working as long as you have extra batteries, or a plug in adapter for your vehicle.

Whoops! The area is 40 miles. I decided to give the Uniden BCD996P2 a try and see how I like it. Any suggestions for a vehicle antenna? Not looking to go crazy but something that will work. I was looking at this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DUSBHDM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_rQ1Yyb7WEHKCH

Again thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.