Need a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

wacker2921

Hello all,
I am looking to buy a new scanner. I was looking into getting a base scanner. I was looking for a trunking scanner that can be hooked up to the computer to program. I would also like to add a title to the scan bank so you can see like "fire 1" instead of the freq. "145.450". I am interested in listening to emergency response freq. Mostly in Ocean County NJ.

If anyone could help me find a scanner I would appreciate it. Thank you

captclint

Mentor
Hello all,
I am looking to buy a new scanner. I was looking into getting a base scanner. I was looking for a trunking scanner that can be hooked up to the computer to program.
Neary all trunking radios will do what you want. Here are the most popoular:
BCT15X - The RadioReference Wiki
PSR-400 - The RadioReference Wiki

Software is available for both all of the above, and they are all great radios. Uniden has more features, so be sure to read all the features carefully.

I'm not a radio shack advocate, for several reasons, so you won't find any above.

You might want to discuss the need for a digital scanner on the NJ forum. It appears as if some of Tom's River is digital and NOT encrypted, and there may be plans to go digital in other areas. Ocean County is capable of going digital easily, but there are no digital Talk Groups yet.

Last edited:

Highpockets

Hello all,
I am looking to buy a new scanner. I was looking into getting a base scanner. I was looking for a trunking scanner that can be hooked up to the computer to program. I would also like to add a title to the scan bank so you can see like "fire 1" instead of the freq. "145.450". I am interested in listening to emergency response freq. Mostly in Ocean County NJ.

If anyone could help me find a scanner I would appreciate it. Thank you

If your going to get a scanner in the Toms River area, it's better to get a digital scanner, with some departments encrypting, some are all encrypted and some partial, so, I picked up the Uniden BCD996XT. I has encryption mute, I listen to Toms River PD and I get the calls that aren't encrypted and the ones that are get muted. I have the PSR600 I like the audio better then the 996, but, you get tired of hearing the encrypted calls, it doesn't mute conventional channels like the Uniden. I would read up in the Wiki on digital scanners and see if any meet your needs.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.