Need a New SW Radio... Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5ywa

I really want a reciever with a huge frequency span, small enough to take camping and to a hotel, but powerful.
I would like it to be both AC and DC. And I want the ability to fine tune in the frequency. All modes and many filter options.
I am willing to spend up to $1,000.
Any good ideas?

majoco

Stirrer
You probably don't mean powerful, you mean 'sensitive'. The Grundig Satellit 750 has been discontinued, but I guess the Tecsun S2000 is still available - way below your price top line and they don't have continuous coverage to 1000MHz! AC and batteries is no problem, any battery radio worth its salt these days comes with rechargeables. For a "DC to daylight" receiver you'd be looking at silly money for a big Icom receiver and they won't run on batteries or be portable. You might try the new Icom R30...
https://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/receiver/handheld/ic-r30/
...and it's only US$600 from Universal Radio - seems to meet all your requirements including SSB and all the digital formats.
https://swling.com/blog/2018/08/dave-reviews-the-icom-ic-r30-handheld-wide-band-receiver/

nanZor

Looks like the Comm-Radio CTX-10 transceiver is only $1 under your budget, and is finally released - at least at Universal.

That might do the trick for your broad needs.

bgav

HF/MW/LW Equipment - For general and technical discussion of all receivers which cover the HF bands. For HF tranceiver discussion please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum above.

OP: Clarification of receiver vs transceiver would be helpful.

WA8ZTZ

The "many filter options" thing sorta eliminates everything except a wideband ("huge frequency span") communications style receiver... not very portable and beyond your budget. Unless... you go SDR, but then you have to lug around a computer.

Boombox

You don't say enough about what you want. You mention camping, and mention listening in a hotel.

I doubt an SDR will be easy to use camping, for example.

You may want to look into a Tecsun PL880 (several filters, SSB, works well off internal & whip antenna, has external antenna jack) or a Sangean 909X (high quality for a portable, can work off an external antenna).

In a hotel you'll be dealing with RFI galore if you plan to listen to SW or HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.