Need a programmed scanner for Jacksonville NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0ZGW

MY daughter and son-in-law are both former Marines that are currently federal LEO's in Jacksonville NC. As the family geek and Ham operator they have asked me about a scanner for home.

I would like to gift them one for Christmas but need assistance selecting one appropriate for their location and the comm modes in use in their area.

Looking for advice on how to go about selecting a receiver and then getting it programmed as needed. A referral to a competent retailer in their area would be great.

thanks in advance for help.

Mark in MN

rickcutter

look in the North Carolina discussion Forum about scanner usage in this area;

https://forums.radioreference.com/n...n-forum/260715-scanner-buy-monitoring-nc.html

I use a Uniden BCD436HP as a main radio and have an old Uniden SC150B for weather and Airport type stuff... and Ft Bragg Range Control - I am thinking of adding an additional scanner for dedicated monitoring of frequencies...

Let us know what is chosen.

Last edited:

N8IAA

MY daughter and son-in-law are both former Marines that are currently federal LEO's in Jacksonville NC. As the family geek and Ham operator they have asked me about a scanner for home.

I would like to gift them one for Christmas but need assistance selecting one appropriate for their location and the comm modes in use in their area.

Looking for advice on how to go about selecting a receiver and then getting it programmed as needed. A referral to a competent retailer in their area would be great.

thanks in advance for help.

Mark in MN

Hi, Mark. Since they reside in NC, they don't need anything more than a Whistler WS-1065, or 1040. NC VIPER system is P-25 Phase I. It will cover everything in the county plus the TG's on VIPER. You didn't mention if they wanted a base or handheld scanner. The 1065 is a base and the 1040 is a HT.
As simple as the X36HP scanners sound, they require more thought as to how to set up what you want to monitor. Plus there are many problems associated with the X36HP scanners. I will point you to the Uniden scanner forum to read.
I use an older RS Pro-106 that works quite well for NC VIPER and any other conventional P-25.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.