Need a recommendation for Houston / Harris County

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustinn

Hello,

I just sold my HomePatrol 1 to upgrade to a Phase II capable scanner. I've narrowed my search to the following:

1. Uniden HomePatrol 2
2. Uniden BCD996P2
3. Uniden BCD436HP

I will be using it 80% at home and 20% in the car mostly monitoring PD. I loved the recording capability of the HomePatrol and I'm leaning towards the HP-2. However, I've heard some people mention the HP-2 has problems monitoring a simulcast P25 Phase I system.

Can anyone comment on the HP-2's performance in Harris County, and/or suggest one of the other radios for my use?

jmontes77029

They are all going to give you problems with the simulcast systems in Harris County. Me personally, I would go with the BCD436HP. That one also has recording capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustinn

Hmm why is that? I used the 436HP a few years back and it seemed to work fine although it was definitely buggy on HPD's Phase II dispatch channels. Their Phase I simulcast sounded fine though.

jmontes77029

Hmm why is that? I used the 436HP a few years back and it seemed to work fine although it was definitely buggy on HPD's Phase II dispatch channels. Their Phase I simulcast sounded fine though.

For the most part it performs great. It really depends a lot on location. Phase 2 was buggy 40 percent of the time for me. I owned both the 436 and 536 models as well as both whistler TRX-1&2. The whistlers suck for simulcast in Harris County. But my favorite for the simulcast system in Harris County is the Unication G5. It performs great for HCSO and it will be upgradable to phase 2 this year.

rustinn

For the most part it performs great. It really depends a lot on location. Phase 2 was buggy 40 percent of the time for me. I owned both the 436 and 536 models as well as both whistler TRX-1&2. The whistlers suck for simulcast in Harris County. But my favorite for the simulcast system in Harris County is the Unication G5. It performs great for HCSO and it will be upgradable to phase 2 this year.

Are there any good Phase II non-encrypted PD channels here in Harris County? I'm only upgrading because my HP-1 has gone virtually silent w/ the exception of HPD.

jmontes77029

Most of HPD and HFD are phase 2 but they also broadcast on phase 1 through the Houston general government site. Pasadena PD /FD are phase 2. All the HCSO channels are phase 1. Not sure which area you are in.

jmontes77029

I'm on the west side of Houston near I-10 and Highway 6

I believe mostly everything is phase 1 on that side with the exception of HPD and HFD. I would definitely upgrade to the a phase 2 scanner as many departments are migrating over.

rustinn

I believe mostly everything is phase 1 on that side with the exception of HPD and HFD. I would definitely upgrade to the a phase 2 scanner as many departments are migrating over.

Thanks! I've decided to go with the BCD436HP.

dan8878

Houston V Scanner file

Can anyone pm me that V scanner file for Houston and surrounding area? I am giving my self a headache trying to get any scan lists to work. TIa

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone pm me that V scanner file for Houston and surrounding area? I am giving my self a headache trying to get any scan lists to work. TIa
Dan,

Be sure and specify which scanner model you're needing a file for. You said a 'V' scanner file, which implies a scanner made by GRE or Whistler, that uses object oriented software. If it is a Uniden scanner, you're looking for either a Favorites list (HP-2, 436HP, & 536HP), or a programming file from FreeSCAN, ARC-XT, or ProScan (for the 325P2 or 996P2).

I'm in Dallas, so you'll be better off with something from one of the members in the Houston metro area.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry for being vague. I have a Whistler model ws1088. I hope someone in the Houston area responds.
There's a number of Houston area members, with some that I think have the same (or equivalent) scanner. If you don't get an answer here, or an incomplete one, join the HoustonScan Yahoo group & ask there.

Status
Not open for further replies.